* [ECOS] Multi-cast mode warning
@ 2006-06-29  7:09 Tim Hatton
From: Tim Hatton @ 2006-06-29  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
I am currently in the process of try to get eCos (2.0.43)  running on our
own hardware which uses a DP83848 PHY. I have used the exisiting DP83847
driver (which came with eCos) as a base and I have got to the stage where
the ethernet link is established. I am however getting the following warning
message when initialising the network:

[eth_drv_ioctl] Warning: Driver can't set multi-cast mode

Now, if everything worked I wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't seem
to be getting any IP packets out of the hardware (eCos is trying to send
DHCP discovery messages but they aren't coming out to the ethernet). I
suspect this may be a hardware issue but, I would like some confirm that the
warning above is or isn't anything I need to look into.

My understanding of multi-cast mode is that I shouldn't need it or care but
if anyone could confirm or deny this I'd be very grateful.
Best regards,
Tim Hatton
Coherent Research Ltd
UK

* Re: [ECOS] Multi-cast mode warning
@ 2006-06-29 10:06 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-06-29 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Hatton; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Tim Hatton wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently in the process of try to get eCos (2.0.43)  running on our
> own hardware which uses a DP83848 PHY. I have used the exisiting DP83847
> driver (which came with eCos) as a base and I have got to the stage where
> the ethernet link is established. I am however getting the following warning
> message when initialising the network:
>
> [eth_drv_ioctl] Warning: Driver can't set multi-cast mode
>
> Now, if everything worked I wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't seem
> to be getting any IP packets out of the hardware (eCos is trying to send
> DHCP discovery messages but they aren't coming out to the ethernet). I
> suspect this may be a hardware issue but, I would like some confirm that the
> warning above is or isn't anything I need to look into.
>
> My understanding of multi-cast mode is that I shouldn't need it or care but
> if anyone could confirm or deny this I'd be very grateful.

This is indeed just a warning and has no affect on normal operations.
Multi-case mode is only important for IPv6 and specific multi-cast
operations.

If you're not getting any packets, then you probably have a different
[hardware?] problem.

* Re: [ECOS] Multi-cast mode warning
@ 2006-06-29 11:40   ` Tim Hatton
From: Tim Hatton @ 2006-06-29 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Thanks Gary,
That's was my assumption, I just wanted to hear it from someone else,
Thanks again,
Tim

* Re: [ECOS] Multi-cast mode warning
@ 2007-01-31 15:40 ` rholmberg
From: rholmberg @ 2007-01-31 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Tim,
Can you please tell me if you were able to get the DP83848 to function
properly with the AT91RM9200? I have an application that is planning to use
the same DP83848CW Ethernety PHY with the AT91RM9200 - it would be very
reassurring to know that someone has successfully implemented these items.

Best Regards,

Randy Holmberg

@ 2007-02-01  2:10   ` wang cui
From: wang cui @ 2007-02-01  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randy.holmberg, ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 2708 bytes --]

I am sure, "[eth_drv_ioctl] Warning: Driver can't set multi-cast mode"
doesn't interfere normal IPv4 opreations. Maybe there are some hardware
problem, or you need double check the register operations.

I got this waring on my target using dp83902a driver, and it doesn't
matter.
However I have added the multicast support, and will contribute it after
full test.

>From: rholmberg <randy.holmberg@liposonix.com>
>To: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Multi-cast mode warning
>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:40:30 -0800 (PST)
>

>Tim,
>Can you please tell me if you were able to get the DP83848 to function
>properly with the AT91RM9200? I have an application that is planning to
use
>the same DP83848CW Ethernety PHY with the AT91RM9200 - it would be very
>reassurring to know that someone has successfully implemented these items.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Randy Holmberg
>

>Tim Hatton wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am currently in the process of try to get eCos (2.0.43)  running on
our
> > own hardware which uses an ATMEL AT91RM9200 CPU (bulit in MAC) and a
> > DP83848 PHY. I have used the eCos build from the AT91RM9200-EK and the
> > exisiting DP83847 driver (changing it to support the similar DP83848)
as a
> > base and I have got to the stage where the ethernet link is
established. I
> > am however getting the following warning message when initialising the
> > network:
> >
> > [eth_drv_ioctl] Warning: Driver can't set multi-cast mode
> >
> > Now, if everything worked I wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't
> > seem to be getting any IP packets out of the hardware (eCos is trying
> > send DHCP discovery messages but they aren't coming out to the
ethernet).
> > I suspect this may be a hardware issue but, I would like some confirm
that
> > the warning above is or isn't anything I need to look into.
> >
> > My understanding of multi-cast mode is that I shouldn't need it or care
> > but if anyone could confirm or deny this I'd be very grateful.
> > Best regards,
> > Tim Hatton
> > Coherent Research Ltd
> > UK
> >

>--
Nabble.com.

@ 2006-06-30  7:26 FALL
From: FALL @ 2006-06-30  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, Tim Hatton

FALL Birahim
Elsys-Design
PACA

>Thanks Gary,
>That's was my assumption, I just wanted to hear it from someone else,
>Thanks again,
>Tim

Tim, please help! Gary is right "Multi-cast mode warning" means you will not support IGMP, that's all.

Sent via the WebMail system at elsys-design.com