* [ECOS] Porting to 80386ex...
@ 2001-02-24 19:06 Li Xinghua
From: Li Xinghua @ 2001-02-24 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,all

I want to run ecos on a custom-made  386ex board.
After I have searched the maillist archive, the porting seems a troublesome thing .The similar question had been asked several times, but no reply. I have not much confidence to complete this porting , though it is challenging.
Fortunately , thanks to Patrick O'Grady, there is PC platform HAL porting now. It is a helpful reference to my job. I am looking forward to help and advice given .

I also have some questions about 386EX processor. If 386ex works in protected mode, is it compatible with i386 ?
Then if 386ex runs in System Mangement Mode, is it a architecture HAL porting , or just a platform HAL porting ,since there are additional registers.

            Li Xinghua
            ahwa@fudan.edu

____________________________
BN3 Hosted Customer Service Solution, basic service FREE.
CRM enable your web site in 5 minutes! http://www.bn3.com

* Re: [ECOS] Porting to 80386ex...
@ 2001-02-26 11:23   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-26 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Then if 386ex runs in System Mangement Mode, is it a architecture HAL
> porting , or just a platform HAL porting ,since there are additional registers.
>
>By this do you mean ring 0 versus ring1/2 ?

SMM is a special mode. Essentially it freezes the states of all virtual
machines and flips some "extra" memory into the address space that is not
normally accessible.

Typical use would be when you hit the suspend-to-disk button on a portable
PC. The CPU is whacked into SMM, and it jumps into code that saves hardware
register contents and display RAM, then displays a "saving to disk" message
and writes out all the contents of everything to the hard disk.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] Porting to 80386ex...
       [not found] <200102250307.TAA14041@cygnus.com>
@ 2001-02-26 11:13 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-02-26 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Xinghua; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Li Xinghua wrote:

> I want to run ecos on a custom-made  386ex board.
> After I have searched the maillist archive, the porting seems a troublesome thing .The similar question had been asked several times, but no reply. I have not much confidence to complete this porting , though it is challenging.
> Fortunately , thanks to Patrick O'Grady, there is PC platform HAL porting now. It is a helpful reference to my job. I am looking forward to help and advice given .

Be sure to use the sources from anonymous CVS. This includes Patrick's PC
HAL.

One consideration - there is a possibility that Red Hat may be making some
improvements to the x86 support (and we will certainly be including the
work Fabrice did for PCI and RedBoot support). Some of the changes may be
quite major - and will basically invalidate the current sources. However it
is not clear at this time whether Red Hat will be doing this for certain
:-/. The only way to guarantee support for you soon in the public sources
would be to contact Red Hat sales about helping you doing the port. If you
are interested, contact ecos-info@redhat.com

> I also have some questions about 386EX processor. If 386ex works in protected mode, is it compatible with i386 ?
> Then if 386ex runs in System Mangement Mode, is it a architecture HAL porting , or just a platform HAL porting ,since there are additional registers.

By this do you mean ring 0 versus ring1/2 ?

Jifl