* [ECOS] E7T ROMRAM startup anyone? Alternatives?
@ 2005-06-15 19:40 Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-15 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all,

another E7T question -
has anyone succeeded at implementing a ROMRAM startup for the ARM E7T?

Or what other options are there for having an app. stored in ROM (see my

Can I somehow use Redboot "mcopy" in an automated way (i.e. upon startup) to
copy it from ROM to RAM and start it from RAM? (assuming the app was
compiled to run from RAM, of course)

Any other ideas of how to achieve ROMRAM type of behavior?

Thanks,

AS

* Re: [ECOS] E7T ROMRAM startup anyone? Alternatives?
@ 2005-06-15 19:48 ` Gary Thomas
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-06-15 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Sina; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 19:39 +0000, Ali Sina wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> another E7T question -
> has anyone succeeded at implementing a ROMRAM startup for the ARM E7T?
>
> Or what other options are there for having an app. stored in ROM (see my
>
> Can I somehow use Redboot "mcopy" in an automated way (i.e. upon startup) to
> copy it from ROM to RAM and start it from RAM? (assuming the app was
> compiled to run from RAM, of course)
>
> Any other ideas of how to achieve ROMRAM type of behavior?

ROMRAM startup mode is really only for *the* monitor program, e.g.
RedBoot.  It's purpose is to take a program which has to run from
FLASH/ROM from the start (e.g. the system initialization code) and
allow it to run from RAM after some suitable minimal setup.

RedBoot has FIS (FLASH Image System) which can store images.  These
can be programs or data.  You simply put your RAM program into a
FIS image then load and execute it at boot time.

Sadly, I think the E7T has such little FLASH &/or RAM that these
features are normally left turned off.

* Re: [ECOS] E7T ROMRAM startup anyone? Alternatives?
@ 2005-06-16  6:16   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-16  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello Gary,

thanks a lot, you helped clear some of the confusion.

In case anyone else is interested in this:

There are some redboot images and .ecm files with flash support for ARM E7T
at http://www.sweeneydesign.co.uk/downloads.htm

I have found an earlier post with some links that did not work, so you may
want to try this one.
The image executes and the fis commands are available.

Also, Redboot's fconfig seems to offer the solution to "scripted booting".
However I have not tried it out yet.

Thanks again,

AS

@ 2005-06-16 17:38   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-16 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello Gary,

thanks a lot, you helped clear some of the confusion.

In case anyone else is interested in this:

There are some redboot images and .ecm files with flash support for ARM E7T
at http://www.sweeneydesign.co.uk/downloads.htm

I have found an earlier post with some links that did not work, so you may
want to try this one.
The image executes and the fis commands are available.

Also, Redboot's fconfig seems to offer the solution to "scripted booting".
However I have not tried it out yet.

Thanks again,

AS

>From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
>To: Ali Sina <replay688@hotmail.com>
>CC: eCos Discussion <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] E7T ROMRAM startup anyone? Alternatives?
>Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:48:35 -0600
>
>On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 19:39 +0000, Ali Sina wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > another E7T question -
> > has anyone succeeded at implementing a ROMRAM startup for the ARM E7T?
> >
> > Or what other options are there for having an app. stored in ROM (see my
> >
> > Can I somehow use Redboot "mcopy" in an automated way (i.e. upon
>startup) to
> > copy it from ROM to RAM and start it from RAM? (assuming the app was
> > compiled to run from RAM, of course)
> >
> > Any other ideas of how to achieve ROMRAM type of behavior?
>
>ROMRAM startup mode is really only for *the* monitor program, e.g.
>RedBoot.  It's purpose is to take a program which has to run from
>FLASH/ROM from the start (e.g. the system initialization code) and
>allow it to run from RAM after some suitable minimal setup.
>
>RedBoot has FIS (FLASH Image System) which can store images.  These
>can be programs or data.  You simply put your RAM program into a
>FIS image then load and execute it at boot time.
>
>Sadly, I think the E7T has such little FLASH &/or RAM that these
>features are normally left turned off.
>
>--
>Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
>MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
@ 2005-06-17 10:18   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

actually now I noticed that after leaving the application execute (with no
interaction whatsoever) the board resets all by itself after a few seconds
and I get the Redboot prompt again.

What could be the cause??? Please help

AS

Hello,

is there any difference between loading an application to RAM and running it
there via Redboot as opposed to via GDB?

On the E7T with a ROM Redboot I observe the following:
Application has not crashed in months.
(go) will start the application but the systems hangs after a few seconds.

Anyone a clue as to why this could be happening?

Thanks,

AS

* RE: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
@ 2005-06-17 17:38     ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2005-06-17 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

> From: Ali Sina
>
> actually now I noticed that after leaving the application execute
> (with no
> interaction whatsoever) the board resets all by itself after a
> few seconds
> and I get the Redboot prompt again.
>
> What could be the cause??? Please help

Smells like the watchdog timer.

Either that, or you have a conventional bug in your software.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco