* [ECOS] how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board‎
@ 2007-06-14 15:48 xiaolu zhao
From: xiaolu zhao @ 2007-06-14 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

 Hi, I met a big problem, would you like to give me some advices?

I did some modifications to the ecos Kernel code(like in sched.cxx,
thread.hxx etc.). But I have no a real hardware board. So I want to
use VMware as a virtual machine to see the results.Is it possible?

I tried the redbbot on the Vmware and the "hello.c" example works. But
after I modified the kernel code and rebuild the ecos using the
configtool, it did not give any compilation complaints. I know it is
impossible, there should be a lot of errors in the code. Does Redbbot
have nothing to do with the ecos kernel files?

If the redboot has nothing to do with the kernels, how can I check my
modificaiton to the kernel files with VMare?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

* Re: [ECOS] how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?
@ 2007-06-14 16:16 ` Andrew Lunn
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-14 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xiaolu zhao; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 05:14:18PM +0200, xiaolu zhao wrote:
> Hi, I met a big problem, would you like to give me some advices?
>
> I did some modifications to the ecos Kernel code(like in sched.cxx,
> thread.hxx etc.). But I have no a real hardware board. So I want to
> use VMware as a virtual machine to see the results.Is it possible?

Should be, but i have never done it myself. However, i would actually
recommend using the synthetic target on Linux.

> I tried the redbbot on the Vmware and the "hello.c" example works. But
> after I modified the kernel code and rebuild the ecos using the
> configtool, it did not give any compilation complaints. I know it is
> impossible, there should be a lot of errors in the code. Does Redbbot
> have nothing to do with the ecos kernel files?

Redboot does not use the kernel.

> If the redboot has nothing to do with the kernels, how can I check my
> modificaiton to the kernel files with VMare?

I would suggest you use the kernel test cases. These are good tests to
see if your changes have broken anything.

Try doing:

ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
ecosconfig tree
make -s tests

Once you have fixed all the compiler error you can run the test cases
in install/tests/kernel/current.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?
@ 2007-06-14 22:02   ` xiaolu zhao
From: xiaolu zhao @ 2007-06-14 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xiaolu zhao, ecos-discuss

Thank you so much for your help!! But I still not very clear about
some problems.

1. If "Redboot does not use the kernel" , does that mean if I want to
see the result of my modification, redboot is no help. But if without
the redboot, can I still use the VMware to run the ecos? Because I
only see the examples about how to run the redboot on VMware.

2. After these steps:
        " ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
          edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
          ecosconfig tree
          make -s tests "
    and compilation of ecos, I also need to run some applications to
verify my   modification( like get some calculation results). How I
can run the applications and see the results?

Thank you!!!

@ 2007-06-14 23:11     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xiaolu zhao; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 06:11:15PM +0200, xiaolu zhao wrote:
> Thank you so much for your help!! But I still not very clear about
> some problems.
>
> 1. If "Redboot does not use the kernel" , does that mean if I want to
> see the result of my modification, redboot is no help. But if without
> the redboot, can I still use the VMware to run the ecos? Because I
> only see the examples about how to run the redboot on VMware.

Redboot is just an eCos application. The test cases are eCos
applications. If vmware can run Redboot, it should be able to run eCos
applications.

> 2. After these steps:
>        " ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
>          edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
>          ecosconfig tree
>          make -s tests "
>    and compilation of ecos, I also need to run some applications to
> verify my   modification( like get some calculation results). How I
> can run the applications and see the results?

The same way you run the test cases. The hello world example shows you
how to link your application to eCos.

I would suggest you first start with a clean, unmodified tree. Get the
test cases to run. You might find tm_basic interesting since it
performs timing measurements of kernel operations.

Only once you have unmodified eCos working, then start with your
modifications.

               Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?
@ 2007-06-27  1:52   ` xiaolu zhao
From: xiaolu zhao @ 2007-06-27  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi, when I try the command: ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139 under the Cygwin
I got this complain:
  "fatal error - called with threadlist_ix -1"

Would you like to tell me what caused this problem and how I can solve it?

Thank you in advance!

@ 2007-06-27  9:48   ` xiaolu zhao
From: xiaolu zhao @ 2007-06-27  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Because my command-line ecosconfig does not work, I tried to use
graphic configtool to try the tests suggested by andrew.

But I met some problems:
1. If I want to run the eCos on the vmware, I think I need a .bin file
to generate the floppy image and load to the vmware. When I use
redboot, I know there is a option in the config file to choose
("Redboot ROM monitor/Redboot HAL options/Build RedBoot binary image")
and I can get a bin file in the generated install folder. But without
redbboot, I do not know how to generate the bin file?

2. I want to try the tests cases using configtool. but it seems the
hardware platform should be connected, does it? Does that mean if I
want to do the test, I should run the vmware at the same time?

Would you like to give me some advice about these problems? Thank you so much!