* [ECOS] Serial spy
@ 2001-02-19 12:25 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2001-02-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

  Has anyone got a program to spy the serial device transparently in
order to see the dialog of GDB and my target's stub. I just want to see
what's traveling along my serial conecction.

  Thank you

--
Rafael Rodríguez Velilla        rrv@tid.es
Telefónica I+D          http://www.tid.es

* RE: [ECOS] Serial spy
@ 2001-02-19 13:03 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-02-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla; +Cc: ecos

On 19-Feb-2001 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla wrote:
>   Has anyone got a program to spy the serial device transparently in
> order to see the dialog of GDB and my target's stub. I just want to see
> what's traveling along my serial conecction.

You can get this information from GDB itself.
  (gdb) set remotedebug 1

* Re: [ECOS] Serial spy
@ 2001-02-19 23:27   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-02-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla, ecos

Gary> On 19-Feb-2001 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla wrote:
>> Has anyone got a program to spy the serial device transparently in
>> order to see the dialog of GDB and my target's stub. I just want to
>> see what's traveling along my serial conecction.

Gary> You can get this information from GDB itself.  (gdb) set
Gary> remotedebug 1

Unfortunately that doesn't always work. Any non-protocol data gets
binned by some GDBs - it's not consistent in this regard across
architectures.

Instead I suggest using the ser_filter for which sources are available
from the CVS repository in the host directory. You should be able to
rebuild it for Linux by invoking make in the host/tools/ecostest/unix
directory. For Windows I believe there are some MSVC build files
somewhere.

When you have ser_filter built you can do something like:

 $ ser_filter -m 9999 /dev/ttyS0 38400

And then connect to the target like this:

 (gdb) ta re localhost:9999

When you do, the ser_filter should dump all the traffic out on the
console.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Serial spy
@ 2001-02-21  1:59     ` Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2001-02-21  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

> When you have ser_filter built you can do something like:
>
>  $ ser_filter -m 9999 /dev/ttyS0 38400
>
> And then connect to the target like this:
>
>  (gdb) ta re localhost:9999
>
> When you do, the ser_filter should dump all the traffic out on the
> console.

  I will try this. Thank you

  Is there some documentation about this program? A man page or something
similar?

--

@ 2001-02-21  2:17       ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-02-21  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)