* documentation license
@ 2002-09-12 12:07 Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2002-09-12 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

For the record, I have received a message from Mark Webbink (Red
Hat legal) regarding the license for existing eCos documentation.
This gives permission to change the license text to:

  This material may be distributed only subject to the terms and
  conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v1.0 or later
  (the latest version is presently available at
  http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/)
  Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard
  (paper) book form is prohibited unless prior permission obtained
  from the copyright holder.

In other words, the problematical clause

  Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is
  prohibited without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

can be eliminated. This change means I can now release the updated
synthetic target documentation, so I plan to check in my accumulated
changes in the next couple of days. After that I'll probably go
through the repository and update the other .sgml files for
consistency, unless somebody can think of a good reason for not doing
so.

Bart

* Re: Documentation License
@ 2004-05-13 13:23   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-05-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> I presume we could change the wording a little. "... BY THE FREEBSD
> DOCUMENTATION PROJECT..." to "... BY THE EcOS PROJECT...".
>
> Otherwise i think this License is OK.

Yes definitely. And it would be the "ECOS DOCUMENTATION LICENSE" (tempting
to call it LICENCE but I'll relent :-)).

Jifl

* Re: Documentation License
@ 2004-05-13 13:09 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-05-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

> To save searching since the link is broken, the FreeBSD doc license is:
>
> -=-=-=-=-
> Redistribution and use in source (SGML DocBook) and 'compiled' forms (SGML,
> HTML, PDF, PostScript, RTF and so forth) with or without modification, are
> permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
>
>    1. Redistributions of source code (SGML DocBook) must retain the above
> copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer as
> the first lines of this file unmodified.
>    2. Redistributions in compiled form (transformed to other DTDs,
> converted to PDF, PostScript, RTF and other formats) must reproduce the
> above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
> distribution.
>
> Important: THIS DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD DOCUMENTATION
> PROJECT "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD
> DOCUMENTATION PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
> TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
> PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
> LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
> NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
> DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> -=-=--=-=-

I presume we could change the wording a little. "... BY THE FREEBSD
DOCUMENTATION PROJECT..." to "... BY THE EcOS PROJECT...".

Otherwise i think this License is OK.

      Andrew

* Documentation License
@ 2004-05-11 21:52 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-05-11 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

The time is coming up (I hope!) when we'll need to make some choices about
our documentation license. The FSF have already said that our existing Open
Publication License (with the license options) is not acceptable to them.
However, I don't know if people are aware, but not everyone is happy about
the FSF's own Free Documentation License. There's a long page about it at
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html but the summary is that
surprisingly enough the license is not Free.

Personally I would not be happy with the FDL either, but of course that's
just me :-). I am prepared to argue with the FSF about that. But
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html does helpfully say: "occasionally
we use other free documentation licenses" so that's encouraging.

That web page suggests some alternatives:
- For GPL'ed programs, licence the manual under the GPL (mutatis mutandis)
- If you don't mind people making proprietary versions of your manual, use
a permissive, non-copyleft license such as the X11 license. (The X11
license explicitly mentions documentation.)
- If you have to use the GFDL for some reason, dual-licence your
documentation under the program license.

But there are other options, the best resource for which being
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#FreeDocumentationLicenses
especially since that list is officially acceptable with the FSF.

[...]

The apple license could also not be read as the server was down. So here's
Google's cache:
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:d_swFDmNzqIJ:www.opensource.apple.com/cdl/

Personally I'm inclined to think the FreeBSD Documentation License is
adequate (the Apple license just more legalese stuff and verbose, but
equivalent as far as I can see), as I'm not too enamoured about making the
documentation "Free" (as in FSF "Free") primarily because the point of eCos
is the code, and the documentation is there to help, not an asset to be
controlled.

Other thoughts/options/opinions?

Jifl