* ecos-opt
@ 2003-05-21 19:31 Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Now that 2.0 is out and for the moment we hope, people will be less
reliant on CVS (or at least there won't be a much better time), I would
like to do something a little drastic...

As (ex-)Red Hat folks will remember, it was decided way way back to split
off the network stack and SNMP directories into a separate "ecos-opt"
hierarchy in the public CVS tree. And so it has remained to this day.

However I've found I still get the odd problems because of this, in
particular if you use "checkout" as a way to update your source tree,
instead of "update" it barfs.

So I'd like to finally bring everything back into one tree. I believe it
can be done fairly easily, by just moving the directories into place
within the repository and then putting in symlinks directly in the CVS
repository in the old places to make sure existing checkouts work.... but
new checkouts would not get those as I would update the "modules" file
appropriately. It would only really affect things for people using
"checkout" to update their sources, but since that's already broken there
can't be many of those :-).

Any objections or suggestions? If not, I'll choose a quiet period some
time soon to do it.... as you can tell actually doing it is just a few
trivial commands actually! But of course I'll need to test it.

Jifl