* Adding OMAP to list of supported Hardware
@ 2003-02-11 22:11 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2003-02-11 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

I just had a guy from TI in here saying, "Gee, why doesn't the OMAP show up
on the list of supported hardware at the eCos site?".  To which I replied,
"Gee, I should do something about that."

So, what can I do about adding the OMAP to the list of supported hardware?
If the answer is "wait for the 2.0 beta release", that's fine.  In the mean
time, here is the pertinent information from the old hardware list:

Processor: OMAP1510/5910
http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omaphomepage.tsp

Platform: Innovator
http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omapgenpage.tsp?navigationId=9305&templateId=5
663&path=templatedata/cm/omaptools/data/innovator
(gee, I wish there were an easier way to get here :-))

Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
http://www.ti.com

Supported Features:
Ethernet
Flash
RedBoot

--wpd

* Re: Adding OMAP to list of supported Hardware
@ 2003-02-12 17:36 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I just had a guy from TI in here saying, "Gee, why doesn't the OMAP show up
> on the list of supported hardware at the eCos site?".  To which I replied,
> "Gee, I should do something about that."

Thanks for the links. Yes I'm somewhat bad at keeping that up to date, but
with the help of the links you made it that much easier that I did it
easily :-). Have a look now and tell me about any problems.

 > Supported Features:
 > Ethernet

Remember to include the eth device driver in the target innovator {} bit
in ecos.db when you get this working for eCos and not just RedBoot.

Jifl

* RE: Adding OMAP to list of supported Hardware
@ 2003-02-12 18:27   ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2003-02-12 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Thanks... it looks great and the links work.  I just noticed the "Thanks to
Patrick Doyle..." blurb at the bottom of the "More Info" link.  Wow, my name
in lights again!!! :-)

> Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > I just had a guy from TI in here saying, "Gee, why doesn't the
> OMAP show up
> > on the list of supported hardware at the eCos site?".  To which
> I replied,
> > "Gee, I should do something about that."
>
> Thanks for the links. Yes I'm somewhat bad at keeping that up to
> date, but
> with the help of the links you made it that much easier that I did it
> easily :-). Have a look now and tell me about any problems.
>
>  > Supported Features:
>  > Ethernet
>
> Remember to include the eth device driver in the target innovator {} bit
> in ecos.db when you get this working for eCos and not just RedBoot.

I added that yesterday and am about to prepare a new patch.  I just need to
figure out the right incantation for cvs diff to produce the new ChangeLog
files that I created.  ("cvs add" gets mad at me because I don't have write
access to the server).

FWIW, TI is now steering some folks to eCos for the OMAP.  They find that
some folks want WinCE, but most folks want to run either Linux or just run
on the bare metal.  The later category are the ones that are being steered
to eCos, with all three categories being made aware of it.

Anyway, its more (internal) press.

@ 2003-02-12 21:05     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-02-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Thanks... it looks great and the links work.  I just noticed the "Thanks to
> Patrick Doyle..." blurb at the bottom of the "More Info" link.  Wow, my name
> in lights again!!! :-)

:-)

>>Remember to include the eth device driver in the target innovator {} bit
>>in ecos.db when you get this working for eCos and not just RedBoot.
>

> I added that yesterday and am about to prepare a new patch.  I just need to
> figure out the right incantation for cvs diff to produce the new ChangeLog
> files that I created.  ("cvs add" gets mad at me because I don't have write
> access to the server).

Ah yes, that can be a pain with anoncvs. Unfortunately I've never found a
better way than generating the patch for the files that changed and then
for every new file/directory manually do:

diff -urN /dev/null FILENAME >> patch

at the same level as the patch.

> FWIW, TI is now steering some folks to eCos for the OMAP.  They find that
> some folks want WinCE, but most folks want to run either Linux or just run
> on the bare metal.  The later category are the ones that are being steered
> to eCos, with all three categories being made aware of it.

Yes, being fully open source can be a great help to those who would
otherwise do a home-grown system. Hopefully this will help spread the
message :-).

Jifl