* FWD: Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?
@ 2003-03-31 12:18 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-03-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-maintainers

> Becoming a GNU project means that the project developers agree to
> GNU policies.  These are listed at
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>.  They are the full
> requirements; beyond what is listed there, the developers have full
> autonomy over the program's development.

I just skimmed through the policies. There are some things which would
cause difficulties, or at least need a lot of work. They specify how
release should be made and the look and feel of the web site etc. It
seems to me this will be the major problem with FSF, not the dealing
with the legal matters and assignments.

     Andrew

* Re: FWD: Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?
@ 2003-03-31 15:26 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-03-31 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>Becoming a GNU project means that the project developers agree to
>>GNU policies.  These are listed at
>><http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>.  They are the full
>>requirements; beyond what is listed there, the developers have full
>>autonomy over the program's development.
>

> I just skimmed through the policies. There are some things which would
> cause difficulties, or at least need a lot of work. They specify how
> release should be made and the look and feel of the web site etc. It
> seems to me this will be the major problem with FSF, not the dealing
> with the legal matters and assignments.

I think we may be able to get some flexibility with the FSF since we are
already an established project with established resources. Ditto things
like a bug-ecos[at]gnu.org address. The bug*@gnu.org addresses are famous
for the amount of spam and consequent abysmally low signal to ratio. The
FSF won't run any spam filtering on the bug lists. We should stay with
bugzilla, and I see no reason to have two separate bug reporting mechanisms.

For GIFs, I would imagine the FSF will be happy with a gradual change to
PNGs in the docs. The GIFs on the web pages are slightly more annoying
because not every browser supports PNGs. The FSF will insist though, and
for better or worse it isn't a big enough issue to reject for.

Bart noticed the documentation licence could be a more interesting
sticking point, but because of the (C) Red Hat we are not at liberty to
change that to the FDL that the FSF would prefer. So I don't think the FSF
will have much choice. They may insist on FDL for new documents.

Jifl