* eCos bitrot
@ 2003-05-22 11:38 Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2003-05-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Hi Dudes

The eCosCentric test farm is making pretty good progress, most of it is
not visible yet unfortunately (yes, my fault, I am kept occupied on
other trivial but necessary stuff).

Anyway, here is a brief update:
* We are building perms and tests for various targets
* We are running automated tests for those targets
* Results are in raw log files which are easily turned into HTML,
   including summaries, although we are not wasting time tidying this as
   we are going for the final result: logging the results in the
   database.

The results so far for anoncvs have been very interesting:

Builds
------
*  1 perm now fails to configure
* 11 perms will no longer build
*  3 perms produce errors building tests (make tests error)
* *all* perms produce build warnings

Tests
-----
So far we have only put in the EBSA targets (courtesy ASCOM) as the
other targets need work: For e.g. PID:- Need RedBoot in EPROM and we
don't have a suitable programmer; PLC2 and LAKI:- need to get platform
specific code and permission from ASCOM;

The EBSA has around a 90-95% pass rate for the tests that actually
build, which is not bad considering.  All are timeouts (cache1, kcache1,
etc). We (eCosCentric) are looking into these. I hope to have the build
and test result display working within a week or so.  We can make the
raw results available if anyone wants to jump the gun and fix the
problems before the result pages are displayed - just let me know.

Jld is putting in some additional targets this afternoon and we should
be up to 5-10% of the size the farm was at Red Hat shortly :-)  We need
to extract the serial port terminal server from Bart and get that
working to get more targets in place, although we are no longer
restricted to requiring a serial port to determine reset OK.

Summary
-------
On the whole, we are pleased with the stability of the new farm.
Results appear a lot more consistent (i.e. less noise and
spurious/WFM-style errors) and we managed to run 4854 tests in a 24 hour
period for a single platform.  So a full cycle should take around 3-4
days insead of the usual 2 weeks.

We hope this will be a very useful resource for you and an extremely
beneficial service for our customers.

Paul is the only one complaining as the rats have moved out the test
farm and into his house because of the constant clacking ;-)

-- Alex

* Re: eCos bitrot
@ 2003-05-22 11:52 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-05-22 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

> So far we have only put in the EBSA targets (courtesy ASCOM) as the
> other targets need work: For e.g. PID:- Need RedBoot in EPROM and we
> don't have a suitable programmer; PLC2 and LAKI:- need to get platform
> specific code and permission from ASCOM;

Well i can solve source code part quickly. Tell me an FTP server and i
will upload the necessary packages. They are RHEPL, not GPL, so you
won't be able to distribute them in the main tree.

What sort of permission do you need?

     Andrew

* Re: eCos bitrot
@ 2003-05-22 12:28   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2003-05-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>So far we have only put in the EBSA targets (courtesy ASCOM) as the
>>other targets need work: For e.g. PID:- Need RedBoot in EPROM and we
>>don't have a suitable programmer; PLC2 and LAKI:- need to get platform
>>specific code and permission from ASCOM;
>

> Well i can solve source code part quickly. Tell me an FTP server and i
> will upload the necessary packages. They are RHEPL, not GPL, so you
> won't be able to distribute them in the main tree.

Understood.  We have a different system for maintaining confidentiality
and licensed software from what we used at Red Hat so packages are ideal :-)

ftp.ecoscentric.com:/incoming is the place to drop the packages.

> What sort of permission do you need?

Just something that confirms you provided the code to us and that we can
use it for testing/whatever provided we don't distribute etc (the usual
confidentiality stuff).  We need to ensure that we cannot be accused of
taking that which does not belong, IYSWIM.

Thanks
-- Alex