* Re: [ECOS] How to build redboot/ecos?
       [not found] ` <1063752622.5547.472.camel@hermes>
@ 2003-09-22 15:56   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2003-09-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:22, Chien-Lung Wu wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>	I just download ecos from sourceforge. And I would like to compile
>

> Really?  Where?  The only official source for eCos is:
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/

It is?

I thought we were moving away from the RedHat based URL to the vendor
neutral http://ecos.sourceware.org/

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] How to build redboot/ecos?
@ 2003-09-22 16:07     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-09-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 09:56, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:22, Chien-Lung Wu wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>	I just download ecos from sourceforge. And I would like to compile
> >

> > Really?  Where?  The only official source for eCos is:
> >   http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/
>
> It is?
>
> I thought we were moving away from the RedHat based URL to the vendor
> neutral http://ecos.sourceware.org/

Fair enough, but it surely isn't on sourceforge AFAIK.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] How to build redboot/ecos?
@ 2003-09-22 16:20       ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2003-09-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
>>>Really?  Where?  The only official source for eCos is:
>>>  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/
>>
>>It is?
>>
>>I thought we were moving away from the RedHat based URL to the vendor
>>neutral http://ecos.sourceware.org/
>

> Fair enough, but it surely isn't on sourceforge AFAIK.

Source*ware*, not sourceforge.

ecos.sourceware.org is simply an alias for s.r.c. and s.r.c. has been
set up to provide virtual hosting.  Hence it is the same machine, just
not advertised as such.  The gcc group use the same trick for gcc.gnu.org

I suspect the announcement may have been be delayed until eCos falls
under the FSF umbrella so that ecos becomes also available as
http://ecos.gnu.org.  The prefferred "official" URL,
ecos.gnu.org or ecos.sourceware.org, is up to you maintainers to decide :-)

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] How to build redboot/ecos?
@ 2003-09-22 16:29         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-09-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 10:16, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> >>It is?
> >>
> >>I thought we were moving away from the RedHat based URL to the vendor
> >>neutral http://ecos.sourceware.org/
> >

> > Fair enough, but it surely isn't on sourceforge AFAIK.
>
> Source*ware*, not sourceforge.
>
> ecos.sourceware.org is simply an alias for s.r.c. and s.r.c. has been
> set up to provide virtual hosting.  Hence it is the same machine, just
> not advertised as such.  The gcc group use the same trick for gcc.gnu.org
>
> I suspect the announcement may have been be delayed until eCos falls
> under the FSF umbrella so that ecos becomes also available as
> http://ecos.gnu.org.  The prefferred "official" URL,
> ecos.gnu.org or ecos.sourceware.org, is up to you maintainers to decide :-)

Understood.  I was just seeing if this guy actually got something from
sourceforge (some clandestine project?) or was just confused.

--

@ 2003-09-22 16:32         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-09-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Maintainers

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

>>> It is?
>>>
>>> I thought we were moving away from the RedHat based URL to the vendor
>>> neutral http://ecos.sourceware.org/

The vendor neutral aspect is important for the FSF.

>> Fair enough, but it surely isn't on sourceforge AFAIK.
>
> Source*ware*, not sourceforge.

i.e. the poster may have gotten confused.

> ecos.sourceware.org is simply an alias for s.r.c. and s.r.c. has been
> set up to provide virtual hosting.  Hence it is the same machine, just
> not advertised as such.  The gcc group use the same trick for gcc.gnu.org

We haven't gone all the way though. In particular, we would want to change
mailing list names, which we haven't yet.

> I suspect the announcement may have been be delayed until eCos falls
> under the FSF umbrella so that ecos becomes also available as
> http://ecos.gnu.org.  The prefferred "official" URL,
> ecos.gnu.org or ecos.sourceware.org, is up to you maintainers to decide :-)

It should be ecos.sourceware.org for now, because for the time being the
FSF is insisting that although we can be an FSF project, we cannot be a
GNU project, so we would be http://ecos.nongnu.org/ if anything, which I
feel less interested in.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] How to build redboot/ecos?
@ 2003-09-22 16:35           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-09-22 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Alex Schuilenburg, eCos Maintainers

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 10:32, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> The vendor neutral aspect is important for the FSF.
>
> >> Fair enough, but it surely isn't on sourceforge AFAIK.
> >
> > Source*ware*, not sourceforge.
>
> i.e. the poster may have gotten confused.
>
> > ecos.sourceware.org is simply an alias for s.r.c. and s.r.c. has been
> > set up to provide virtual hosting.  Hence it is the same machine, just
> > not advertised as such.  The gcc group use the same trick for gcc.gnu.org
>
> We haven't gone all the way though. In particular, we would want to change
> mailing list names, which we haven't yet.
>
> > I suspect the announcement may have been be delayed until eCos falls
> > under the FSF umbrella so that ecos becomes also available as
> > http://ecos.gnu.org.  The prefferred "official" URL,
> > ecos.gnu.org or ecos.sourceware.org, is up to you maintainers to decide :-)
>
> It should be ecos.sourceware.org for now, because for the time being the
> FSF is insisting that although we can be an FSF project, we cannot be a
> GNU project, so we would be http://ecos.nongnu.org/ if anything, which I
> feel less interested in.

So, should we start using that address (ecos.sourceware.org) whenever
possible?

--

@ 2003-09-22 17:03             ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-09-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Alex Schuilenburg, eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:

> So, should we start using that address (ecos.sourceware.org) whenever
> possible?

In URLs yes. Simply replacing http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/XXX with
http://ecos.sourceware.org/XXX should always work.
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/LISTNAME/ also works.