From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org>
Cc: Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com>,
	  ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Commercial postings on ecos-discuss etc
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 03/02/2010 01:10 PM, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> On 02/03/10 17:28, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>>>>
>>> Does it need to be? If it was like some of those spam telephone calls
>>> one can get where they purport to be "doing a survey" (to get around
>>> telemarketing rules) but actually doing advertising/sales, that would be
>>> one thing. But this contains no insidious promotion, marketing or sales.
>>> It's just a request for people to do a straightforward survey.
>>>

>> To clarify, I understood the maintainers activities and use of
>> sourceware to be limited to community interest only.  If their use is
>> commercial, it should clearly be noted. IMHO the survey clearly will
>> benefit the commercial organisation behind it, and not necessarily the
>> community, which is my point. If it is not for the benefit of the
>> community and is commercial, and as I was previously told, all such
>> posts should be so highlighted. If, however, posts of this nature are
>> acceptable, then at least I know what the guidance is.
>
> Lots of posts by people on the ecos lists will benefit companies, rather
> than the community! :-)

>>> I think we both know that there aren't concrete plans here.
>>>
>> I am not in a position to comment on this
>
> That leaves me wondering a bit.

>>> Apparently the results are being made available to those who enter the
>>> survey, which is more than sufficient.
>>>
>> Nope, only those who provide their email addresses, which then gives the
>> commercial organisation behing the survey an idea of what type of
>> development is being done by that person and/or the organsiation they
>> work for, and who to approach for sales etc.  John does not have to use
>> the email address, just the domain is sufficient, to gain any sales
>> information.
>>
>> IMHO the survey should have been anonymous, with the results made
>> public, to be legitimately of community interest.
>
> Hmm, I see your point in this bit. John, care to comment? Are the
> addresses (email or IP) used for _any_ purpose other than sending out
> survey results? If so, is this made clear to survey users?

>>> That's not an issue for the maintainers.
>>>
>> Interesting position.
>
> We can't know the details of laws in all the potential countries that
> people may be posting from.
>
> I'm not condoning anything if the law is being broken, but it's not the
> maintainers' job to stop people submitting their own data. And clearly,
> marking something as [COMMERCIAL] would make no difference to legalities.
>
> That being said, I would hope/expect John _is_ complying with the law.
> Handling personal data such as email addresses is certainly regulated by
> the DPA. I don't know about the Companies Act.

>>> No mention was made of John's company. There was no advertising, no
>>> promotion, and results were available to those who filled in the survey.
>>>
>>> I fully expect John to use the outcome of the survey to guide his
>>> company's actions, but that doesn't make the post commercial IMO.
>>>
>> An interesting contradiction.  A posting does not have to contain
> [...]

I have more problems with this whole discussion than I do at all to
the original posting.  John's survey request doesn't even come close
to being considered improper or illegal in the U.S.  Additionally,
I certainly don't know about the intricacies of UK law in these areas
and most certainly am not interested in being a policeman.

There have been many postings to eCos-discuss in the past that went
even further than this that weren't labeled COMMERCIAL and I didn't
hear the uproar then.  Maybe this is just a case of fallen-out colleagues?
I don't know, but I'm done thinking about it and will probably not
continue to read this thread anymore...