public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* Building Elfutils with Mingw32
@ 2023-09-13 21:08 McAllister, Colin
From: McAllister, Colin @ 2023-09-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hello,

I'm currently trying to determine the level of effort required to compile Elfutils for Windows using MinGW. I'd like to get a version of Elfutils compiled with libdebginfod in order to compile GDB with debuginfod support on Windows. I've currently explored two avenues...

I first tried to add support myself. I did this by trying to pull in Gnulib to support for argp, fts, and obstack. I didn't quite figure out how to get AC_SEARCH_LIBS to not error even after adding Gnulib and following the Gnulib documentation. I ended up just commenting out the AC_SEARCH_LIBS checks for the three aforementioned Gnulib modules. After a little more work, I was able to get Elfutils to configure, but when I tried to run make, I immediately hit an error that endian.h could not be found. I did see that endian.h is not included in Gnulib, so I wasn't sure how to deal with that error.

The second avenue opened up when I found a post from a couple years ago where Ulf Hermann was able to fork Elfutils and add support for compiling on Windows.
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/elfutils-devel/2018q3/001166.html

It looks like this fork hasn't been updated since version 0.175, which is quite a way back from when Debuginfod support was added. I figured if I could get Ulf's fork to compile, I could then try to merge his fork with a recent version of Elfutils and manually handle all the merge conflicts. This seems like the better avenue, but the number of merge conflicts is quite high.

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to Elfutils, Autotools, and Mingw/Windows, so I was hoping I could reach out to the community for help. Any help or support would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Colin