public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Compile antiquated fortran?
@ 2023-07-27 17:36 Allin Cottrell
From: Allin Cottrell @ 2023-07-27 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

I have old fortran source code (not my own work) for a specialized
statistical program that I and others find quite useful.

A few years ago I was able to compile it on Linux using gfortran
with std=legacy (and also cross-compile it for Windows an Mac). Now
I'd like to rebuild it, but with recent gfortran (I've tried 12.2.1
on Fedora and 13.1.1 on Arch) it's a no-go. I get lots of errors of
the following sort:

ansub9.f:151:44:

   151 |    INTEGER ITYPE,INIT,LAM,IMEAN,IP,ID,Q,BP,BD,BQ,SQG,MQ,L,M,
       |                                       1
Error: Symbol ‘q’ at (1) already has basic type of REAL

I can understand this complaint. The code contains this sort of
thing within a given subroutine:

        IMPLICIT  REAL*8 (A-H,O-Z)

then some lines later on:

        INTEGER ITYPE,INIT,LAM,IMEAN,P,D,Q,...

I guess the author was assuming that an explicit type-assignment
just overrides an implicit one. Older gfortran apparently played
along with that.

My question: Given that I'm already using -std=legacy, are there any
other flags that I could add to get the code to compile?

(I know I could tackle this by renaming a bunch of variables, but in
context that would be an extremely fiddly job.)

Thanks for any help.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics