public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* frysk-cvs patch tuning
@ 2007-07-17 15:54 Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2007-07-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frysk Hackers

Is it possible to tune frysk-cvs mailing list to include patches, and
not links to patches? I find this list very useful, and read the
list/patches everyday. but I hate the mass clicking on links. It would
make reply-to questions on some code more context-friendly if the patch
part is included in the email.

Is it possible to tune the list to include patches instead of links?

What's the consensus on doing this?

And if the above two come back positive, what person needs to be
contacted to make it happen?

Regards

Phil

* Re: frysk-cvs patch tuning
@ 2007-07-17 18:43 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Phil Muldoon wrote:
> Is it possible to tune frysk-cvs mailing list to include patches, and
> not links to patches? I find this list very useful, and read the
> list/patches everyday. but I hate the mass clicking on links. It would
> make reply-to questions on some code more context-friendly if the
> patch part is included in the email.

Well, if we switched from CVS then this would be a non-issue.  I wonder
if that is a better solution.  (Would certainly have made my life this
morning easier :-)

> Is it possible to tune the list to include patches instead of links?

The file CVSROOT/loginfo (from memory) would need to be changed.

> What's the consensus on doing this?
>
> And if the above two come back positive, what person needs to be
> contacted to make it happen?

Probably me :-)

> Regards
>
> Phil

* Re: frysk-cvs patch tuning
@ 2007-07-18  7:52   ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-07-18  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Phil Muldoon, Frysk Hackers

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 14:43 -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Phil Muldoon wrote:
> > Is it possible to tune frysk-cvs mailing list to include patches, and
> > not links to patches? I find this list very useful, and read the
> > list/patches everyday. but I hate the mass clicking on links. It would
> > make reply-to questions on some code more context-friendly if the
> > patch part is included in the email.

Yes, that would be nice. I also try to click through on most changes and
replying to such messages is indeed a bit of a pain. I now just post my
patches to the list since I noticed I get more response/reviews that
way. And because I like to double check what I commit beforehand and
because I like to explain why I am making particular changes (that last
one isn't something you get from frysk-commit always since the commit
message often just explains what was changed, not why).

> > Is it possible to tune the list to include patches instead of links?
> >
> The file CVSROOT/loginfo (from memory) would need to be changed.

I see that file refers to /usr/sourceware/bin/commit_prep do you have
access to that script to see what kind of arguments it takes?

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: frysk-cvs patch tuning
@ 2007-07-24 23:48   ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2007-07-24 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Phil Muldoon wrote:
>> Is it possible to tune frysk-cvs mailing list to include patches, and
>> not links to patches? I find this list very useful, and read the
>> list/patches everyday. but I hate the mass clicking on links. It
>> would make reply-to questions on some code more context-friendly if
>> the patch part is included in the email.
>>
> Well, if we switched from CVS then this would be a non-issue.  I
> wonder if that is a better solution.  (Would certainly have made my
> life this morning easier :-)

I've been playing with Mercurial lately, and I did an import of the
Frysk CVS head using Tailor. I was not able to import any branches or
any change-set information which was disappointing. That might be a lack
of information on my part.  Or the wrong conversion tool. Others might
have more luck.

But from an experimental viewpoint, I really, really did like the
concept of Mercurial and distributed version control. There are other
similar systems (GIT comes to mind). I really like the idea of having
your own control of  your own local repository, pull and pushing
change-sets from a "main" repository, and so on.  And it would help
tremendously in branches (not to mention diffs, patch review and so on).

I don't have an outward facing machine so this is all locally done on my
machine. But it after taking a walk away from CVS, I'm not keen to go
back ;)

Regards

Phil