public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
To: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
Cc: frysk@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Make CoredumpAction use Task.getRegisterBanks()
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> For ptrace/proc based Tasks there are basically 4 register banks (not
> all of them used on all architectures) the Isa provides a mapping from
> the actual register names to the bank and offset inside it. The four
> banks are the regular registers (gotten through PTRACE_GETREGS), the
> general floating point registers (gotten through PTRACE_GETFPREGS), the
> extended floating point registers such like sse xmm registers (gotten
> through PTRACE_getXFPREGS) and the other registers (gotten through the
> start of USR memory space) that cover things like debug control
> registers found by the Isa through the mapping in sys/user.h (some of
> the other register banks are actually also contained in this one).
>
> Does this map somewhat to how core files handle the register banks, so
> you can just dump/read these banks from them?

Pretty much other than General Purpose registers which needs to be
accessed independently via getRegisterByName(). The the rest are just
dumped  wholesale into the notes, and in that instance accessed via
task.getRegisterBanks().

I think, going forward access to the raw memory  for each register bank,
and also a getRegisterByName() function (which is the functionality we
have now) is needed, and probably will be down the line.

Regards

Phil