public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com>
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@redhat.com>
Cc: systemtap@sourceware.org, frysk <frysk@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: my notes from the tracing workshop
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Visualization.
>
> Many visualization tools were presented (if I see another useless
> full-screen snap-shot in a slide I'll scream), most built on eclipse,
> but a few were not.  While this is a very crowded market, there seems,
> in mnsho, to still be a need for clear simple visualization tools backed
> by a databse.
>
> The quote of the day, in describing eclipse, has to be "icon diarrhea".

Were the tools showing more than just a simple time line of logs? Having just a
time-line plot of when things happen is not that useful. For example, LTT had
some time-line graphing of events. There is either too much data or too little
data on the screen . When showing a signficant portion the time line there is a
massive clutter of items in the time line in addition to the few events you are
interested in. When zooming in one only sees the single event, not the other
interesting event(s). Really want visualization tools declutter and filter out
as much as possible from the graphics.

-Will