* gcc 4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-02 23:40 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-06-02 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

    I tried to mail in a log concerning the error from this compilation and
the mailer daemon mailed it back and said it was too large. It was
concerning not knowing something about the right kind of object files.
ldconfig -v showed that ld.so knows where the libraries are.

Bill

* Re: gcc 4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-03 22:20         ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-06-03 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

On 3 June 2011 19:12, Bill Cunningham <billcun@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>
>> "Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:
>>
>>>   I had the script and sent it in and got back a message saying the
>>> system wouldn't take large mail files. Now I might need cloog and ppl
>>> too.
>>
>> You do not need cloog and ppl.  They are optional.  Do not be misled
>> by the errors in the top-level config.log file.  The configure script
>> determines whether cloog and ppl are available by running tests.  When
>> those tests fail, gcc is built to not use cloog and ppl.
>>

>>> I think they are required and my C preprocessor fails sanity
>>> checks. cpp is in the bin directory but there's nothing in the lib
>>> directory. Shouldn't there be a cpp or libcpp.a there or
>>> something. When I compile gcc's I get no pre-processor.
>>
>> gcc installs cpp in the bin directory.  It does not install it in the
>> lib directory; why should it?  gcc does not have a libcpp.a file; why
>> do you expect one?
>
>   I got an error about the C++ preprocessor and lib/cpp. I don't quite
> understand a lot of these errors. Where again should I look for the error
> script? What's it called?

I'm not going to keep repeating myself, check the archives
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2011-06/

Until you've bothered to note the actual error this is a waste of
everyone's time.

* Re: gcc 4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-03 20:14         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-06-03 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

"Bill Cunningham" <billcun@suddenlink.net> writes:

>    I got an error about the C++ preprocessor and lib/cpp. I don't
> quite understand a lot of these errors. Where again should I look for
> the error script? What's it called?

In order to answer a question like that we would need to see the actual
error that you got.

References to lib/cpp in config.log should be ignored.  In fact,
config.log should generally be ignored.  Only if you get some other
errors should you look at config.log, and then you should look at the
relevant decisions.

Ian

* Re: gcc 4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-03 18:13       ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-06-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2011-06-03  8:13     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-06-03  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

On 3 June 2011 01:49, Bill Cunningham wrote:

>   I had the script and sent it in and got back a message saying the system
> wouldn't take large mail files. Now I might need cloog and ppl too.

No, did you not read what the wiki FAQ says?
As it says there, "You might recognize that several test programs
failed during the configuration, but some of these failures are
non-critical."
You don't need cloog and ppl.

Also, your config.log shows you're running ../configure
Please read http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure and the installation
docs it links to: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

I also explained at http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/240.html
that you must run configure from outside the source directory.

The docs are there to help you. Please read them.

* Re: gcc 4.6.0 breaks
@ 2011-06-03  5:48     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-06-03  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

@ 2011-06-03  0:50   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2011-06-03  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 3 June 2011 00:47, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>> Well here is the configure log. Maybe that means something.
>> Something is missing that is needed or I'm not using the right
>> switches.
>
> Wrong config.log, that's the top-level one, which exited with status 0
> (as shown at the end)
>
> You need to look in the config.log which actually failed, as explained
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix
> As it says there, "You might recognize that several test programs
> failed during the configuration, but some of these failures are
> non-critical."
>
> I already suggested that you look in $target/libgcc/config.log, for
> your system that would be i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc/config.log
>
> That might not be the right directory, it's just my guess, you should
> look in the directory where configure failed. Again, that's explained
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix
>
> If you want help you really need to be less vague than "not knowing
> something about the right kind of object files" and you need to
> (carefully!) read the documentation which people have gone to the
> trouble of writing.

    I had the script and sent it in and got back a message saying the system
wouldn't take large mail files. Now I might need cloog and ppl too. I think

@ 2011-06-03  0:06 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-06-03  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2011-06-02 23:48 Bill Cunningham