* GCC Project Help !
@ 2004-08-26 16:27 Manoj Pillai
From: Manoj Pillai @ 2004-08-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc

Hello Sir ,

I am Manoj Pillai , i am doing my Computer Engg. as  a part of Final Year
Project we hv been given a topic

         "Reverse Enggineering OF GCC Front End "

And the as a inital part of The project , we hv been asked to analysis , a
file called expr.c which converts the parse tree to RTL .

It wouild be my pleasure , if u let me know abt how to go about it. And is
there any site which could let em know abt the Data structure used in GCC .

It would be also nice, if u could let me know any GCC contributor would be
interested in Helping us or any other forum where we could het assist from .

Thanks.

Yours Truly

Manoj Pillai .

Have a Nice Day .

Marriage by choice.... http://www.shaadi.com/ptnr.php?ptnr=hmltag Log onto
Shaadi.com.

* RE: GCC Project Help !
@ 2004-08-26 17:27 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-08-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I am Manoj Pillai , i am doing my Computer Engg. as  a part
> of Final Year
> Project we hv been given a topic
>
>          "Reverse Enggineering OF GCC Front End "

  Hey, that sounds fairly easy, given that the source code is publicly
available!

> And the as a inital part of The project , we hv been asked to
> analysis , a
> file called expr.c which converts the parse tree to RTL .
>
> It wouild be my pleasure , if u let me know abt how to go
> about it.

  How to analyse a source file?  Isn't that what the course you've been
doing was supposed to teach you?  Are you asking us to summarize all the
lessons and lectures that you have been taught during your course?  Or just
to do your homework for you?

> And is
> there any site which could let em know abt the Data structure
> used in GCC .

  You want to see the compiler internals documentation:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/

That's the best explanation you'll get of the overall structure and
operations of the compiler.  The rest you have to understand by studying the
source code and seeing how it works, what functions there are, looking at
RTL dumps, running gcc under a debugger to see where the control flow goes
and what it does when it's there, etc. etc.  There are a lot of comments in
the source code; they're not all entirely up-to-date or accurate, but most
of the data structures in the source code have good comments to explain what
they are for and what all the data members mean.

> It would be also nice, if u could let me know any GCC
> contributor would be
> interested in Helping us or any other forum where we could
> het assist from .

  You're on a university course.  If you need some training in software
engineering techniques, why not ask your tutors?  They are supposed to be
there to help you.....

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GCC Project Help !
@ 2004-08-26 21:34 ` Lars Segerlund
From: Lars Segerlund @ 2004-08-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

 It's easy.

 You first download gcc from cvs and build.

 Then you get the gcc summit procedings for the last five years or so.

 Now you only have to look into the code.

 So three simple steps and you're there.

 / good luck, Lars Segerlund.