* GCC debug options
@ 2004-11-22  6:19 Wei ZHANG
From: Wei ZHANG @ 2004-11-22  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Arularasan RAMASAMY

We used to have a debug option -gdwarf+ when we were using gcc 2.95.
However when we changed to higher version of gcc, we got these errors:

In gcc (GCC) 3.2, we got the warning:
cc1: warning: 'dwarf+': unknown or unsupported -g option

In gcc version 3.4.2, we got the error:
cc1: error: unrecognised debug output level "dwarf+"

After I checked the latest gcc manual, I found that this option has been
removed from gcc.

The problem is, we have a very large source file and we use GDB. If we
use the default -g option, gdb is unable to break or list at linenumber
beyong a certain limit (e.g. break at linenumber 1000000). We also tried
-gstabs+ and -ggdb but neither can work out. And since we use GDB, some
of the debug options are not applicable. We also tried -gxcoff+ using
gcc 3.4.2 but got an error: target system does not support the "xcoff"
debug format. The system we are using is SunOS 5.8 sparc. Anyone has
idea how to solve this problem? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Zhang Wei

[-- Attachment #2: wei.zhang-amk.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Zhang Wei
n:Zhang;Wei
org:ST Microelectronics Asia Pacific Pte Ltd;R & D Centre
email;internet:wei.zhang-amk@st.com
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: GCC debug options
@ 2004-11-22 16:44 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-11-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei ZHANG; +Cc: gcc-help, Arularasan RAMASAMY

Wei ZHANG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We used to have a debug option -gdwarf+ when we were using gcc 2.95.
> However when we changed to higher version of gcc, we got these errors:
>
> In gcc (GCC) 3.2, we got the warning:
> cc1: warning: 'dwarf+': unknown or unsupported -g option
>
> In gcc version 3.4.2, we got the error:
> cc1: error: unrecognised debug output level "dwarf+"
>
> After I checked the latest gcc manual, I found that this option has been
> removed from gcc.

You could try the -ggdb or -gdwarf-2 options.

One shudders to think why you have a single source file with 1,000,000
lines in it, even if machine generated, ...

nathan