* gcc gets stuck after reinstalling OS.
@ 2004-09-09  8:59 Mallik
From: Mallik @ 2004-09-09  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
  I am using Sun OS 5.8 and we had to reinstall the OS on the machine due to
certain problems. We installed gcc on top of that.  After this
re-installation,  gcc doesn't work anymore. If I use the command # gcc
test.c,  nothing happens and it gets stuck forever. I have to kill the
process. There are no error messages or warnings on the screen. It just gets
stuck. It appears that gcc fails to find some OS specific libraries or
something like that.

 Is there a way to find out if the problem is with the gcc installation or
with the OS installation.  Will reinstalling gcc help or should i re-install
the OS ?.

Thanks
mallik

* Re: gcc gets stuck after reinstalling OS.
@ 2004-09-09 19:51 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-09-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mallik, gcc-help

Hi Mallik,

When GCC is built on a SunOS box, it is very sensitive to the SunOS version
-- INCLUDING the patch version.

If you patch your SunOS box, you should rebuild GCC.  Why?  Because some
patch versions update the OS include files, and GCC caches (now stale)
tweaked versions of those include files.  (There may be a way to update
just the GCC cache of modified OS include files -- I don't know how to do
that.)

To help you figure out where it's going off the rails, make sure your path
is set to where GCC is installed.  Make sure GCC is installed where it
expects to be installed (GCC contains some hard coded paths to find its
components... if you move GCC, you break it).

Use the "-v" switch, for maximum verbosity to help diagnose where things go
awry:
gcc -v blah.cpp

If you are using bash shell, make sure things are accessible in your path:
type -a gcc
type -a ld
type -a as

HTH,