* How do I control the order of constuctors
@ 1999-12-31  6:21 John bebbington
From: John bebbington @ 1999-12-31  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hello,
Can anyone tell me how to control the order of calling class constuctors
which occur before the main().

I have several c++ classes that create object intances in their .cc files.
Example:

file a.h:

class a { }
external a;

file a.cc
 a the_a;

file main.cc
#include "a.h"
#include "b.h"
main () {}

question: how can I ensure that object "the_a" is contructed before "the_b"
?

* Re: How do I control the order of constuctors
@ 1999-12-31  8:39 ` Greg Chicares
From: Greg Chicares @ 1999-12-31  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

It's in the FAQ at
  http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/

@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Greg Chicares
From: Greg Chicares @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` John bebbington
From: John bebbington @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Johnny Favorite (it means "Writhing Tentacle of Death")
From: Johnny Favorite (it means "Writhing Tentacle of Death") @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Greg Chicares wrote:
> It's in the FAQ at
> http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/

Well, I dug around there for 30 minutes or so and I can't find anything
about the ordering of constructors before main().  I'd always assumed it was
impossible to do anything about the ordering, that it was up to the
compiler.  If the FAQ says something different I'd like to know what it is.

* Re: How do I control the order of constuctors
@ 2000-01-01  3:24     ` John bebbington
From: John bebbington @ 2000-01-01  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Johnny Favorite (it means "Writhing Tentacle of Death") wrote in message
<84k4ds02vdb@enews3.newsguy.com>...
>Greg Chicares wrote:
>> It's in the FAQ at
>> http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/
>
>Well, I dug around there for 30 minutes or so and I can't find anything
>about the ordering of constructors before main().  I'd always assumed it
was
>impossible to do anything about the ordering, that it was up to the
>compiler.  If the FAQ says something different I'd like to know what it is.

Thanks for the link Greg,

I have found what I need is the following sections of the FAQs at
http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/

[10.10] What's the "static initialization order fiasco"?
[10.11] How do I prevent the "static initialization order fiasco"?
[10.12] How do I prevent the "static initialization order fiasco" for my
static data members?

* Re: How do I control the order of constuctors
@ 2000-04-01  0:00       ` John bebbington
From: John bebbington @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc