* Question, using gcc, forum.
       [not found] ` <20200903232726.ba28157e5ee86c0dbd76f723@wp.pl>
@ 2020-09-04 22:49   ` tele
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: tele @ 2020-09-04 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am looking for a "forum" where I can find help in learning programming c.
Because the "manual" doesn't look great for me.

For example:
- Where is C manual ?
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

Why there ?
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html

For example:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html
https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html

My description for an example of building a bicycle.
This looks like a description of the components that make up the bike.
I am especially concerned that the manual shows the gear, but it does not show if it is part of a larger set and where it is on the bike.
But maybe I am too stupid or blind because I do not see the tutorial on how to build a programs.

For me, this is archeology in which I try to deduce something sensible from the ruins and sand.

That's why I need someone who can help me get through the beginning a little.
Especially since the language is constantly evolving. Programming security too. And maybe someone has some programming advice on my own blog that I can't find in internet.

Especially since after at least a year of bash scripting experience, I don't think you need to read the documentation from start to finish to memory. Because I only use part of it. However, all knowledge must be in the form of an encyclopedia/wiki, where I am looking,  found and used in the program.

Of course, expanding knowledge is important, probably everyone knows.
There are more tutorials, and it's easier to do something about it. But I don't think I can handle other languages.
Especially that the English language is not always easy for me.
However, I also believe that most simple tutorials do not teach programming either.
Because.
- There are often simple examples, but it doesn't say how to find the main documentation.
- There are often simple examples, but it is not written on how to simply debug a program.
This is important because bash scripts are often simple (in a different sense),
 that is, they provide error-free operation and when an error occurs it is hard to find the cause. The syntax itself, for example, sed is not always easy to understand.
But it's all easy to check in the terminal,
when you know that you can, for example, add a line to the code displaying the contents of the variable before and after the job / command.

It is hard to learn by reading dry knowledge and without seeing examples.

* Question
@ 2020-09-04 23:44     ` tele
From: tele @ 2020-09-04 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Why has no one posted here  https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-help/
a curl script to download all attachments or a specific amount?
To search the content or to check question if is there.

* Re: Question, using gcc, forum.
@ 2020-09-05  7:31     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2020-09-05  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tele, gcc-help

tele via Gcc-help kirjoitti 5.9.2020 klo 1.49:
> I am looking for a "forum" where I can find help in learning programming c.
> Because the "manual" doesn't look great for me.
>

> For example:
> - Where is C manual ?
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
>
> Why there ?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html
There have been downloadable tutorials for GNU software like :
https://www.it.uc3m.es/pbasanta/asng/course_notes/ctut.pdf
Googling with "Programming with GNU C"  gave this quite easily.
Then there have been O'Reilly books like :
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-GNU-Software-Nutshell-Handbooks/dp/1565921127
and :
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Embedded-Systems-C/dp/1565923545
Not that expensive and probably many public libraries have them for free
borrow.
I myself have these in my bookshelf.
Generally learning to program with free C compilers isn't limited to GNU C,
for Windoze there are others like :
https://borland-c.software.informer.com/5.5/
Once being sold and I myself learned C with "Borland Turbo C" for MS-DOS,
a less than $100 compiler.  Borland used to have quite good manuals in PDF.
For UNIX/Linux there are books like :
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Programming-UNIX-Environment-3rd/dp/0321637739
General learning material for C like :
https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~dwharder/icsrts/C/
Other links :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcom_C/C%2B%2B

http://openwatcom.org/

* Re: Question, using gcc, forum.
@ 2020-09-05  8:15     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-09-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tele; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 23:51, tele via Gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I am looking for a "forum" where I can find help in learning programming c.
> Because the "manual" doesn't look great for me.
>

> For example:
> - Where is C manual ?
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
>
> Why there ?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html

Because that's a completely separate project from GCC, it's just that
they both happen to be under the GNU umbrella.

It seems reasonable to link to the GNU C Manual from the GCC website,
if we don't do so already.

> For example:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-c-manual/gnu-c-manual.html
> https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html
>
> My description for an example of building a bicycle.
> This looks like a description of the components that make up the bike.
> I am especially concerned that the manual shows the gear, but it does not show if it is part of a larger set and where it is on the bike.
> But maybe I am too stupid or blind because I do not see the tutorial on how to build a programs.
>
> For me, this is archeology in which I try to deduce something sensible from the ruins and sand.
>
> That's why I need someone who can help me get through the beginning a little.
> Especially since the language is constantly evolving. Programming security too. And maybe someone has some programming advice on my own blog that I can't find in internet.

My personal advice: Get a good book. Teaching C programming is not
simple, and expecting to get it for free from a website is optimistic.
If you want quality material, pay for it by supporting an established
author of quality books.

* Re: Question, using gcc, forum.
@ 2020-09-05 15:03       ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2020-09-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: tele, gcc-help

How about K&R?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

That did it for me.  You can pick up a used 2nd edition for cheap, I'm sure.

Similarly, D&K (sharing one author) is a wonderful introduction to Go.

https://www.gopl.io/

- Dan

Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> schrieb am Sa., 5.
Sept. 2020, 01:15: