public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-03 11:36 Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, georg.wild@gmx.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/4804
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:21:20 -0500 (EST)

 On 14 Nov 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

 > Jeff> I saw this too.  In my case I have autoconf 2.50 installed.
 > Jeff> jar/Makefile has
 >
 > Jeff> EXEEXT = no
 >
 > An interesting failure!
 >
 > Did you re-run autoconf?  If so then that is the problem.  Use the
 > `contrib/gcc_update' script to do updates and you'll be ok.

 I think that's just what happened.  Anyway, the configure script generated
 by autoconf 2.50 is broken... the first time through it writes
 ac_cv_exeext=no to the cache file.  The next time, it takes the value "no"
 verbatim from cache.

 I'll report it to the autoconf folks.  Shall we close this PR?

 Jeff

* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-13 15:16 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-11-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, georg.wild@gmx.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 19 Nov 2001 11:10:45 -0700

 Jeff> I'll report it to the autoconf folks.  Shall we close this PR?

 Yes.  I'll do that shortly.

 Tom

* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-02 14:23 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-11-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: 520036556988-0001@t-online.de (Georg Wild)
Cc: "Jeff Sturm" <jsturm@one-point.com>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
        <georg.wild@gmx.de>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 11:42:07 -0700

 Georg> cd . && automake --gnu --include-deps Makefile
 Georg> automake: configure.in: required file `./depcomp' not found

 You shouldn't be re-running automake unless you have the correct
 version installed.  Did you get gcc from cvs?  If so then you should
 use the `contrib/gcc_update' script and not `cvs update'.  If you got
 gcc from a snapshot or something then we have a different problem.

 Georg> As far as I see at the moment, the problem 4804 is produced by
 Georg> line 3965 of /ltmain.sh

 No, EXEEXT will be computed in configure, not ltmain.sh.

 Georg>           *) exeext= ;;
 Georg> I think somehow this exeext= ;; doesn't work correctly

 Nope, this code is correct.

 Georg> /windows/gcc/fastjar/missing: Unknown `--run' option

 Your depcomp problem and this problem are symptoms of using the wrong
 version of automake.

 Tom

* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-02 12:36 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-11-02 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
To: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, georg.wild@gmx.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 14 Nov 2001 11:39:24 -0700

 Jeff> I saw this too.  In my case I have autoconf 2.50 installed.
 Jeff> jar/Makefile has

 Jeff> EXEEXT = no

 An interesting failure!

 Did you re-run autoconf?  If so then that is the problem.  Use the
 `contrib/gcc_update' script to do updates and you'll be ok.

 At some point we ought to move to autoconf 2.50 / automake 1.5.  As
 far as I know nobody has done the work to make this a reality yet --
 and it will definitely require work and testing.

 Tom

* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-02 12:16 Georg Wild
From: Georg Wild @ 2001-11-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: 520036556988-0001@t-online.de (Georg Wild)
To: "Jeff Sturm" <jsturm@one-point.com>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<tromey@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<georg.wild@gmx.de>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:07:40 +0100

 I found the same explanation for this problem!

 First of all let me mention, that automake 1.5 doesn't work correctly
 because it doesn't find depcomp:

 cd . && automake --gnu --include-deps Makefile
 automake: configure.in: required file `./depcomp' not found
 make[1]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

 So it seems always good to me linking /usr/local/share/automake/depcomp
 there! This time it works in the telled manor.

 As far as I see at the moment, the problem 4804 is produced by line 3965 of
 /ltmain.sh
         case $host in
           *cygwin*) exeext=.exe ;;
           *) exeext= ;;
         esac

 I think somehow this exeext= ;; doesn't work correctly; you should use
 exeext=``; to give exeext a value! At the moment I think this should solve
 the problem!

 On the way you should also solve the problem with depcomp, but therefor I
 don't know how to help you; maybe this warning may have something to do with
 that, maybe not:
 /windows/gcc/fastjar/missing: Unknown `--run' option
 Try `/windows/gcc/fastjar/missing --help' for more information
 configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
 It occurs after upgrading automake, I think!

 Greetings
 Georg

 > I saw this too.  In my case I have autoconf 2.50 installed.
 > jar/Makefile has
 >
 > EXEEXT = no
 > bin_PROGRAMS = jar$(EXEEXT)
 >
 > Building with a prior release of autoconf worked fine.
 >
 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view

* Re: java/4804
@ 2001-11-02  8:19 Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-02  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/4804; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, tromey@gcc.gnu.org, georg.wild@gmx.de,
        gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org