public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libstdc++/4260: ABI change beween 3.0 and 3.0.1
@ 2002-03-11 16:06 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2002-03-11 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
To: phil@jaj.com (Phil Edwards)
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, dave.anglin@nrc.ca, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/4260: ABI change beween 3.0 and 3.0.1
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:59:08 -0500 (EST)

 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:02:57PM -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
 > > > You wrote in the audit trail for this PR that this is now okay.  Can we
 > > > close the PR?
 > >
 > > Was any code changed to keep the library internal name and global
 > > constructors for the library consistent?
 >
 > libstdc++ doesn't have any control over the global constructors.  Somebody in
 > compiler-land will have to make changes to collect2 to do this.

 Looking at the libtool command to build the library in my latest build,
 I see "-version-info 4:0:0".  The generated internal name for the library
 is "-Wl,+h -Wl,libstdc++.sl.4".  However, the global constructors are:

 _GLOBAL__FI_libstdc___sl_4_0

 I don't fully understand how the global constructor names are generated
 but it is clear that there is a mismatch between the library internal
 name and the global constructor symbols.

 In the original report, a change in version from 3.0 to 3.0.1 caused
 a change in constructor symbol from

 _GLOBAL__FI_libstdc___sl_3_0

 _GLOBAL__FI_libstdc___sl_3_1

 If the libraries were intended to be compatible, the constructor symbol
 shouldn't have changed.  If not, the library internal name should have
 changed to match.  Libtool probably needs to add another digit to the
 internal names that it generates for the PA som linker so that its
 precision matches that generated by collect2.  However, it also looks
 like collect2 isn't generating global constructor names correctly.

 Thus, I don't believe the problem is resolved and we will have the same
 problem again when there is a minor version change.

 Dave

* Re: libstdc++/4260: ABI change beween 3.0 and 3.0.1
@ 2002-03-11 14:36 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-03-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: John David Anglin <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, dave.anglin@nrc.ca, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:28:17 -0500

@ 2002-03-11 14:06 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2002-03-11 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
To: phil@jaj.com (Phil Edwards)
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, dave.anglin@nrc.ca, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:02:57 -0500 (EST)

 > You wrote in the audit trail for this PR that this is now okay.  Can we
 > close the PR?

 Was any code changed to keep the library internal name and global
 constructors for the library consistent?  If not, the problem is
 likely to occur again.  It's quite annoying to have to rebuild all
 apps linked against the library when you ugrade gcc.  That's why I
 didn't close the PR when I added to the audit trail.

 Dave

* Re: libstdc++/4260: ABI change beween 3.0 and 3.0.1
@ 2002-03-11 13:46 Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-03-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/4260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, dave.anglin@nrc.ca, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:39:06 -0500

 Dave,

 You wrote in the audit trail for this PR that this is now okay.  Can we
 close the PR?

 Phil