public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/5921: ICE with static variable
@ 2002-04-06 22:15 mmitchel
From: mmitchel @ 2002-04-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, reichelt

Synopsis: ICE with static variable

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: mmitchel
State-Changed-When: Sat Apr  6 22:15:34 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Already fixed.  The code now gives the same error message
    it did with GCC 2.95.3.  (The crash is still there, but
    we just emit the "confused, bailing out" error message.)
    Ideally, we'd eventually fix our error recovery so this
    never happens, but until then, we've never considered
    this situation a real bug.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=5921

* Re: c++/5921: ICE with static variable
@ 2002-12-30 14:36 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2002-12-30 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/5921; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/5921: ICE with static variable
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:24:57 +0100

 Just for the record:
 The new parser in gcc 3.4 isn't confused any more!

 Regards,
 Volker

@ 2002-03-12  6:06 reichelt
From: reichelt @ 2002-03-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5921
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       ICE with static variable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          ice-on-illegal-code
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Mar 12 06:06:03 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Volker Reichelt
>Release:        gcc version 3.1 20020304 (prerelease)
The following code snippet causes an ICE when compiled
with gcc 3.1. It's a regression vs. gcc 3.0.x.

----------------------snip here------------------
struct A
{
  struct B { B(); };
};

static A::B b;

inline template <int i> void f ();
----------------------snip here------------------

The error message is:

bug.cpp:8: parse error before `<' token
bug.cpp:6: definition provided for explicit instantiation
bug.cpp:6: non-template used as template
bug.cpp:6: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report, [etc.]

The example above is very similar to PR 5624. It looks
as if both show different symptoms of the same bug.
Maybe the patch for PR 5624 that cured one symptom
gets superfluous, once the underlying real bug is fixed.
Therefore, IMHO, PR 5624 should be revisited, too.

Since a similar static declaration occurs in iostream
(A == ios_base and B == Init), the bug might affect
quite a number of programs.
>How-To-Repeat:
g++ -c bug.cpp