public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: libstdc++/7805: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
@ 2002-09-06 22:15 billingd
From: billingd @ 2002-09-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David.Billinghurst, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, gdr, ljrittle

Synopsis: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: billingd
State-Changed-When: Fri Sep  6 22:15:42 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Now fixed.  No patch to testsuite required.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7805

* Re: libstdc++/7805: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
@ 2002-09-05 12:06 Loren James Rittle
From: Loren James Rittle @ 2002-09-05 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ljrittle; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/7805; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
To: gdr@integrable-solutions.net
Cc: David.Billinghurst@riotinto.com, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc++/7805: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:00:47 -0500 (CDT)

 In article <m3wuq03ing.fsf@soliton.integrable-solutions.net>,
 Gabriel Dos Reis<gdr@integrable-solutions.net> writes:

 > |  Since this is
 > |     also an ix86 machine, it doesn't surprise me.  Consider a
 > |     patch to use the looser check specialization for your
 > |     platform (as long as you can rationalize it), pre-approved.

 > Please, NO, don't do that.  I explained the reasons of the failure in
 > another message which should by now be recorded in audit trail.

 OK, of course, I defer to this.  BTW, it is not in the audit trail for
 PR/7805 as visible from the WWW interface.

* Re: libstdc++/7805: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
@ 2002-09-05  2:26 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2002-09-05  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ljrittle; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/7805; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: ljrittle@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: David.Billinghurst@riotinto.com, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, ljrittle@gcc.gnu.org
Date: 05 Sep 2002 11:11:47 +0200

 ljrittle@gcc.gnu.org writes:

 |  Since this is
 |     also an ix86 machine, it doesn't surprise me.  Consider a
 |     patch to use the looser check specialization for your
 |     platform (as long as you can rationalize it), pre-approved.

 Please, NO, don't do that.  I explained the reasons of the failure in
 another message which should by now be recorded in audit trail.

 -- Gaby

* Re: libstdc++/7805: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
@ 2002-09-04 19:05 ljrittle
From: ljrittle @ 2002-09-04 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David.Billinghurst, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, gdr, ljrittle, nobody

Synopsis: Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->ljrittle
Responsible-Changed-By: ljrittle
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Sep  4 19:05:39 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Mine.
State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: ljrittle
State-Changed-When: Wed Sep  4 19:05:39 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Any gcc code scheduling change could affect this test on
    CPUs that truncates FP differently depending on where the
    value lives (or other related reasons).  Since this is
    also an ix86 machine, it doesn't surprise me.  Consider a
    patch to use the looser check specialization for your
    platform (as long as you can rationalize it), pre-approved.
    To others that complain about this test failing on your
    platform, David has exposed how to debug it and "silence"
    it properly given the testing framework in that area.

@ 2002-09-01 21:26 David.Billinghurst
From: David.Billinghurst @ 2002-09-01 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats; +Cc: gdr

>Number:         7805
>Category:       libstdc++
>Synopsis:       Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution fails on cygwin
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Sep 01 21:26:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     David Billinghurst
>Release:        gcc-3.3
Test 18_support/numeric_limits.cc execution now fails on cygwin with assertion "extrema_min == limits_min" failed.  Stepping through with the debugger shows it is failing for the long double case.

If I change the test to use the long double specialization that FreeBSD uses then the test passes, so things can't be too bad.

I am unsure if this is best fix, but it may be good enough.