public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/7765 [Patch]
@ 2002-10-28 10:26 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-10-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7765; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
Cc: Wolfgang Bangerth <wolfgang.bangerth@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>,
     <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org>,
     <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>, Michel Robitaille <robitail@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: c++/7765 [Patch]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:22:55 +0000 (GMT)

 On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:

 > but we need to get the fix propagated to the translation project.

 Somewhere the requirement for translation fixes to go via the translation
 project should be documented (I'd suggest both in contribute.html and in
 the list of upstream packages in codingconventions.html).

 Mark's also asked for more detailed documentation in branching.html of how
 to regenerate gcc.pot and send it to the translation project.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: c++/7765 [Patch]
@ 2002-10-28  8:36 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-10-28  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/7765; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <wolfgang.bangerth@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
	Michel Robitaille <robitail@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:32:45 -0800

 On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:43:22PM +0100, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

 >   msgid "%s for `%T %s %T' operator"
 > ! msgstr "%s pour l'opérateur «%T [%T]»"
 >
 >   #: cp/call.c:2845
 >   msgid "%s for `%s %T' operator"
 > ! msgstr "%s pour l'opérateur «%T [%T]»"

 You're on the right track here, but these are still wrong.
 Translations must not change the sequence of %-escapes *at all*.
 (We haven't yet implemented %1$s notation in diagnostic.c; it's
 needed, but until then...) And the square brackets were blindly
 copied from the message above; they don't belong.

  msgid "%s for `%T %s %T' operator"
  msgstr "%s pour l'opérateur «%T %s %T»"

  msgid "%s for `%s %T' operator"
  msgstr "%s pour l'opérateur «%s %T»"

 If this weren't in the translations it would qualify as an obvious
 bugfix.  I would say, go ahead and check it in (with this change);
 but we need to get the fix propagated to the translation project.
 Michel, you are listed as the translator for this file.  Would you
 please incorporate these changes into the next version of the file,
 and also check for other places where the %-escapes are inconsistent
 between the msgid and the msgstr?

 zw