public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/8569: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
@ 2002-11-20 17:56 Kelledin
From: Kelledin @ 2002-11-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/8569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kelledin <kelledin@skarpsey.dyndns.org>
To: kelledin@users.sourceforge.net, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/8569: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:13:54 -0500

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=3Dview%20audit-trail&database=3D=
 gcc&pr=3D8569

 Gah...never mind.

 I just recompiled gcc, and the problem mysteriously went away.

 I'm not sure how that fixed it, and I'm not sure I want to look a=20
 gift-horse in the mouth.  In the meantime, I suggest we just=20
 close this bug report...

 --=20
 Kelledin
 "If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does=20
 it still cost four figures to fix?"

* Re: target/8569: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
@ 2002-11-20 18:03 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-11-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, kelledin, nobody

Synopsis: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 14 07:19:03 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Closed on request of submitter. See
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2002-11/msg00618.html

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8569

* Re: target/8569: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
@ 2002-11-20  8:46 Glen Nakamura
From: Glen Nakamura @ 2002-11-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/8569; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Glen Nakamura <glen@imodulo.com>
To: kelledin@users.sourceforge.net, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:23:30 -1000

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8569

 I remember running into this "gp-relative relocation" problem before...
 Compiling with "-mno-explicit-relocs" seemed to get things working, so
 I didn't investigate any further.  Hopefully, someone with a better
 understanding can provide you with a proper solution.

 - glen

* target/8569: gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
@ 2002-11-20  7:00 kelledin
From: kelledin @ 2002-11-20  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8569
>Category:       target
>Synopsis:       gcc on alpha does not support global variables in shared objects
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Nov 13 17:16:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     kelledin@users.sourceforge.net
>Release:        gcc-3.2
>Environment:

The toolchain (I suspect gcc in particular) is unable to support shared objects where the code makes references to global variables in the same shared object.  In short, when the code references one of its global variables, gcc generates a gp-relative relocation in the resulting assembly language.  When trying to link this into a shared object, ld notices this gp-relative relocation and refuses to link.

FYI, I'm also using binutils-2.13, plus glibc-2.2.5.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to build a shared object with the following code segment:
--------
#include <stdio.h>

int num=1;

int func()