public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/8290: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
@ 2002-12-03  7:06 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-03  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8290; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <kipp@sgl.crestech.ca>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c/8290: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals
 during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:05:17 -0600 (CST)

 On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

 > On 2 Dec 2002 bangerth@dealii.org wrote:
 >
 > >     Confirmed. Assuming the code is legal, it is a regression
 > >     from 3.0, which compiled it fine. A simpler code is this:
 >
 > This is deliberate, and the subject of previous mistaken PRs.  Compound
 > literals are, in C99, unnamed variables, not constant expressions that can
 > be used in initializers, and allowing them in initializers is not
 > consistent with the C language and this C99 concept.  There is a special
 > allowance for the old GNU "constructor expressions", which used the same
 > syntax but had different semantics in this area, in gnu89 mode, but not
 > gnu99.

 So, am I right that this report should be closed as well?

 Thanks
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: c/8290: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
@ 2002-12-04 17:16 Kipp Cannon
From: Kipp Cannon @ 2002-12-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8290; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kipp Cannon <kipp@sgl.crestech.ca>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
 during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:14:36 -0500 (EST)

 On 3 Dec 2002 bangerth@dealii.org wrote:

 > Synopsis: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Tue Dec  3 11:39:37 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Given  Joseph's comments, this is a user error that just
 >     happened to compile before.

 Thanks for the update.

 							-Kipp

@ 2002-12-03 11:39 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-03 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, kipp, nobody

@ 2002-12-03 11:36 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8290; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <kipp@sgl.crestech.ca>,  <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:30:08 +0000 (GMT)

 On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

 > > This is deliberate, and the subject of previous mistaken PRs.  Compound
 > > literals are, in C99, unnamed variables, not constant expressions that can
 > > be used in initializers, and allowing them in initializers is not
 > > consistent with the C language and this C99 concept.  There is a special
 > > allowance for the old GNU "constructor expressions", which used the same
 > > syntax but had different semantics in this area, in gnu89 mode, but not
 > > gnu99.
 >
 > So, am I right that this report should be closed as well?

 Yes.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: c/8290: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
@ 2002-12-02 16:46 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/8290; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <bangerth@dealii.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <kipp@sgl.crestech.ca>,
     <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
 during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 00:38:46 +0000 (GMT)

@ 2002-12-02 13:21 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-02 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, kipp, nobody

Old Synopsis: Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2
New Synopsis: [3.2/3.3 regression] Initialization with compound literals during declaration fails with gcc 3.2

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Mon Dec  2 13:21:29 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Confirmed. Assuming the code is legal, it is a regression
    from 3.0, which compiled it fine. A simpler code is this:
    -----------------------------
    typedef struct {
        int a;
    } s;