public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* other/8822: internal error segmentation fault
@ 2002-12-05  7:06 dieter.ferdinand
From: dieter.ferdinand @ 2002-12-05  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         8822
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       internal error segmentation fault
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Dec 05 07:06:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de
>Release:        gcc 3.xxx (3.2.1 and earlier) and 2.95.3
hello,
i tried to compile different version of gcc on my new installed system with glibc 2.3.1.

gcc 2.7.2.3 works fine

gcc 2.8.1 works fine

gcc 2.95.2 works fine, but can't compile it with glibc 2.3.1 while function struct streampos indirectbuf::seekpos(_G_fpos64_t,  is changed
gcc 2.95.3 makes trouble, when it compile itself
In file included from hash.c:29:
with oder glibc i have no problems to compile this version
/src/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/hash.h:30: parse error before `hash_table_key'
/src/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/hash.h:30: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
i can compile this version with older glibc-includes, but i mast start this process more than once (internal error, segmentation fault or so)

when i compile gcc 3.2 i get this error with this version:
gcc -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -If -I. -I./f -I./config -I./../include f/com.c -o f/com.o
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/gcc-3.2/gcc'

gcc 3.0.4
it has problems with the new glibc in this lib:
.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/locale.o
In file included from locale.cc:557:
/src/gcc-3.0.4/i586-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/include/i586-pc-linux-gnu/bits/ctype_noninline.h: In
   constructor `std::ctype<char>::ctype(const short unsigned int*, bool,
   unsigned int)':
i will try with a newer version from other gcc-version.

gcc 3.1
problems with libiberty and glibc 2.3.1
i will try to use a version from other gcc-version

gcc 3.2
compied with gcc 3.2
gcc -c -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I. -I./. -I./config -I./../include loop.c -o loop.o
loop.c: In function `strength_reduce':
loop.c:5247: internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,

gcc 3.2.1 make troble, when it compile itself (internal error, segmentation fault) same problem, when i compile glibc. after restart of make, it compiles the file, at which it terminates before with internal error
this errors happens with different source-file which doesn't have errors

i think, that here is a uninitialized pointer in the compiler source wich have different values at each time the compiler is started.

i can compile the most programms with version 2.7.xx or 2.95.2, but some programms (also glibc 2.3.1) need a newer compiler (>3.x) and i don't find it good, when i get errors when i compile the source, which are not errors in the source.

if you can't reproduce this bug, i can you give you access to my system, on which this bug comes every time, when i compile the gcc-source.

goodby
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

* Re: other/8822: internal error segmentation fault
@ 2003-03-21 19:46 Dieter Ferdinand
From: Dieter Ferdinand @ 2003-03-21 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/8822; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dieter Ferdinand" <dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de,
	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: other/8822: internal error segmentation fault
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:39:44 +1

 hello,
 i have used a dual-processor-system with 2 p-200 to compile gcc 3.1.

 when i boot without smp-support, this works fine, when i boot with smp support, the
 compiler crash with an internal error.

 i test it under some different linux-versions (2.2 and 2.4) and have the same error.

 i can't say more to this error, i can only give you access to this system, to test it self.

 i can also test it on some other dual-systems, but this doen't solve the problem.

 how can i dealtivate the theading functions for gcc ?

 goodby

 Datum:   	15 Mar 2003 18:49:42 -0000
 An:             	dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
 Von:            	bangerth@dealii.org
 Antwort an:     	bangerth@dealii.org, dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de,
 	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
 nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
 	gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
 Betreff:        	Re: other/8822: internal error segmentation fault

 > Synopsis: internal error segmentation fault
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Sat Mar 15 18:49:42 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Whatever the cause may be, if we are to fix something then
 >     we need a _reproducible_ testcase.
 >
 >     At any rate, repeated sporadic errors on a widely
 >     available system on which gcc is built daily are not
 >     enough to describe a bug.
 >
 >     W.
 >
 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8822

 Schau auch einmal auf meine Homepage (http://go.to/dieter-ferdinand).
 Dort findest du Information zu Linux, Novell, Win95, WinNT, ...

* Re: other/8822: internal error segmentation fault
@ 2003-03-15 18:49 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-03-15 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dieter.ferdinand, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

@ 2003-01-11 17:06 Labbé Stéphane
From: Labbé Stéphane @ 2003-01-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Labb=E9=20St=E9phane?= <stephane-labbe@wanadoo.fr>
To: dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:58:55 +0100

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8822

 Hi,

 I encountered also this bug while compiling the kernel. It seems that
 the bug do not occures systematically, like a memory allocation
 troubleshooting. Perhaps a bug with memory allocation of some stacks ?

 Stéphane.

* Re: other/8822: internal error segmentation fault
@ 2002-12-17 22:26 Dieter Ferdinand
From: Dieter Ferdinand @ 2002-12-17 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/8822; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dieter Ferdinand" <dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de>
To: ehrhardt@mathematik.uni-ulm.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:22:24 +1

 hello,
 i make some more tests and since i have run memtest over some hours, it seems, that on
 ram-module makes problems, which is not located by memtest.

 after i am sure, that all ram-modules are ok, i compiled gcc with the 2.2.16er kernel in single-
 cpu-mode.

 after re-compiling of all needed programms and the kernels 2.4.20 and 2.2.23, i boot the
 system with kernel 2.4.20 in smp-mode with 2 cpu's.

 i start again the compilation of gcc 3.2.1 and it breaks again with internel error and
 segmentation fault.

 i will try to compile gcc without threading, to see what happens.

 goodby

 Datum:   	5 Dec 2002 17:17:25 -0000
 An:             	dieter.ferdinand@gmx.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 	gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org