public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
@ 2002-12-06 12:55 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, lanclos, nobody

Synopsis: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Dec  6 12:55:45 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Please accepts our apologies that nobody has looked into this
    report until now. Do you still have the sources and can
    reproduce the error? We would need the preprocessed source
    file, as described in the bug reporting instructions which
    you can find from the gcc homepage http://gcc.gnu.org.

    By the way, are you absolutely sure that you are using
    gcc3.2 for your compilation (check with gcc -v)? The
    output upon the internal error does not mention the
    gcc web page, which it should with 3.2...

    Regards
      Wolfgang

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7778

* Re: optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
@ 2002-12-06 13:46 Kyle Lanclos
From: Kyle Lanclos @ 2002-12-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/7778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kyle Lanclos <lanclos@ucolick.org>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:36:39 -0800

 I just tried re-building the source from my tarball, and I cannot reproduce
 the error. I assume this inability is from creeping changes in our UNIX
 environment over the past three months...

 Thanks for checking in, I'll make a more thorough/complete report should
 I come across problems again.

 --Kyle

* Re: optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
@ 2002-12-06 13:39 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, lanclos, nobody

Synopsis: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Fri Dec  6 13:39:43 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Submitter says he can't reproduce this.

@ 2002-12-06 13:26 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-06 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/7778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: Kyle Lanclos <lanclos@ucolick.org>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:22:14 -0600 (CST)

 > >     Do you still have the sources and can reproduce the error?
 > >     We would need the preprocessed source file...
 >
 > There's no way I can pick out from the mozilla source code which file(s)
 > are necessary to reproduce the bug. As much as I hate the presentation,
 > all I have is a tarball of my build tree.

 The way this goes is: you see which file the compiler barfs at. Go into
 this directory and do the exact same command line that was used to compile
 it previously (when you used make). This command line is the last one that
 is printed, of course. Then just add -save-temps to the command line. The
 compiler will still die, but it will have generated a .i file. This is the
 file we need.

 Thanks
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
@ 2002-12-06 13:16 Kyle Lanclos
From: Kyle Lanclos @ 2002-12-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/7778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kyle Lanclos <lanclos@ucolick.org>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
   nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:10:19 -0800

 You wrote:
 >     Do you still have the sources and can reproduce the error?
 >     We would need the preprocessed source file...

 There's no way I can pick out from the mozilla source code which file(s)
 are necessary to reproduce the bug. As much as I hate the presentation,
 all I have is a tarball of my build tree.

 http://www.ucolick.org/~lanclos/gcc/

 I apologize sincerely at my lack of a concise method of reproducing the
 error.

 >     By the way, are you absolutely sure that you are using
 >     gcc3.2 for your compilation (check with gcc -v)?

 Yes, though I'm not using gcc 3.2.1, and I have not tried building the
 most recent mozilla source code.

 >     The output upon the internal error does not mention the
 >     gcc web page, which it should with 3.2...

 I may have omitted that portion of the error message in my report.

 --Kyle

* optimization/7778: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
@ 2002-08-30 10:16 lanclos
From: lanclos @ 2002-08-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7778
>Category:       optimization
>Synopsis:       Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Aug 30 10:06:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     lanclos@cats.ucsc.edu
>Release:        gcc-3.2
A mozilla 1.1 build produced the following error, and asked nicely if I would report it please.

gcc -o s_scalbn.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"SunOS5\" -DOSARCH=\"SunOS\" -DOJI   -I../../../dist/include/js -I../../../dist/include -I/scratch/mariachi/lanclos/mozilla/dist/include/nspr         -fPIC  -Wno-long-long -O3 -mcpu=ultrasparc -pthreads -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -D_IEEE_LIBM   -include ../../../config-defs.h -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -Wp,-MD,.deps/s_scalbn.pp s_scalbn.c

e_pow.c: In function `__ieee754_pow':
e_pow.c:376: insn does not satisfy its constraints:
(insn 1810 711 1813 (set (reg:DI 34 %f2)
        (reg/v:DI 64 %f32 [112])) 58 {*movdi_insn_sp32_v9} (nil)
    (nil))
e_pow.c:376: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands, at reload1.c:8369

Please submit a full bug report,
>How-To-Repeat:
Download mozilla 1.1 source to your favorite Solaris 2.6 machine, after compiling libIDL, GTK, and glib as static modules, and configure it with CFLAGS="-O3 -march=ultrasparc".

make.

I'll create a tarball of the offending mozilla source tree, just in case anyone wants it.
>Fix:
I was going to try turning down the optimization and see if that avoided the error. That doesn't fix anything, of course...