public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2002-12-28  4:26 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-28  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/931; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
Cc: <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 12:21:51 +0000 (GMT)

 On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

 > install-old.texi: Still-relevant parts of this (if there are any) need to be
 > migrated into install.texi.

 I think all this old VMS documentation is for VAX VMS with the non-Unix
 build system only, so can be removed.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2003-01-11 23:16 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-01-11 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <neroden@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:06:19 +0000 (GMT)

 On 11 Jan 2003 neroden@gcc.gnu.org wrote:

 >     VAX/VMS support is being dropped for 3.4 and we've stripped out
 > most, if not all, of its files.

 There's just the documentation in install-old.texi for the old VMS build
 system to remove.  (Note that the install manual is quite fragile, with
 all the @node links manually specified, and changes in other bits of the
 manual might be needed along with the removal.  When removing those docs
 it will be necessary to test all of DVI, info and HTML (the
 install.texi2html script) generation for the install manual.)

 Quite possibly some of vms.texi is also out of date; the VMS maintainer
 ought to look over that file and update it as necessary.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2003-01-11 22:44 neroden
From: neroden @ 2003-01-11 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jsm28, nobody

Synopsis: VMS support looks bitrotten

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: neroden
State-Changed-When: Sat Jan 11 14:44:26 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    VAX/VMS support is being dropped for 3.4 and we've stripped out most, if not all, of its files.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=931

* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2002-12-27 22:16 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2002-12-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/931; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, jsm28@cam.ac.uk,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 01:10:26 -0500

 VAX/VMS support in GCC has officially been dropped and its files removed.
 Alpha/OpenVMS support is OK and uses the Unix build procedure.

 What's left are the following:

 gcc.hlp: Should this be updated?  Deleted?  What?

 vms.texi:  This is more up to date than it used to be, but an Alpha/OpenVMS
 maintainer still needs to go through it to make it accurate.

 install-old.texi: Still-relevant parts of this (if there are any) need to be
 migrated into install.texi.

 This shouldn't be too hard overall, but it can only be done by an OpenVMS
 person, 'cause they're the only ones who know what to do.  Perhaps it could
 be assigned to some such person? :-)

 --Nathanael

* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2002-04-02  3:26 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-04-02  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/931; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <neil@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:17:22 +0100 (BST)

 On 2 Apr 2002 neil@gcc.gnu.org wrote:

 >     I believe VMS support is OK for 3.1 now?  Douglas Rupp did a lot
 > of work on this recently.

 Alpha/OpenVMS support may be OK - it's for him to comment in this PR if
 so.  Maybe the PR should be assigned to him.

 The file gcc.hlp is still present, and may be bitrotten.  The docs in
 install-old.texi and vms.texi are definitely out of date and need a
 thorough overhaul.  The current install manual install.texi needs to say
 something about installing on VMS.

 A decision is needed about whether VAX VMS is in principle supported
 (albeit maybe bitrotten) or is desupported.  This should probably depend
 on whether it can use the Unix build procedure - if no version of VAX VMS
 can use the Unix build procedure, VAX VMS should probably be desupported.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: other/931: VMS support looks bitrotten
@ 2002-04-02  1:22 neil
From: neil @ 2002-04-02  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, jsm28, nobody

Synopsis: VMS support looks bitrotten

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: neil
State-Changed-When: Tue Apr  2 01:22:34 2002
State-Changed-Why: