public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: target/10390: [AIX 4.3.3] conflicting declarations in stdio.h
@ 2003-04-26 21:16 David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2003-04-26 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
To: Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: target/10390: [AIX 4.3.3] conflicting declarations in stdio.h
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:15:01 -0400

 Jens> I don't share your point of view, because defining both macros
 Jens> (_LARGE_FILES and _LARGE_FILE_API) causes the failure. Or is
 Jens> documentation existing (which I didn't found) where it's forbidden
 Jens> defining both?

 	Yes, this is a bug, but this is not a *GCC* bug.

 	GCC *does not* provide its own stdio.h.  GCC "fixes" many system
 headers, including stdio.h.  Possibly GCC should modify the logic of these
 macros, but the original stdio.h in AIX is the one with the conflicting
 declarations.  One needs to look at the manual for use of the macros.
 Possibly the bug is the GNU sed configuration for choosing to define both
 macros.

 	Yes, there is a bug, but GCC did not create the conflicting
 declarations, so GCC is not the source of the bug.  Just because the error
 message lists the GCC installation directory in the path does not mean
 that GCC is responsible.

 David

* Re: target/10390: [AIX 4.3.3] conflicting declarations in stdio.h
@ 2003-04-26  6:46 Jens Rehsack
From: Jens Rehsack @ 2003-04-26  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR target/10390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  dje@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,  rehsack@liwing.de
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:40:29 +0200

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10390

 I don't share your point of view, because defining both macros
 (_LARGE_FILES and _LARGE_FILE_API) causes the failure. Or is
 documentation existing (which I didn't found) where it's forbidden
 defining both?

 Jens

* Re: target/10390: [AIX 4.3.3] conflicting declarations in stdio.h
@ 2003-04-25 20:17 dje
From: dje @ 2003-04-25 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, rehsack

Synopsis: [AIX 4.3.3] conflicting declarations in stdio.h

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->dje
Responsible-Changed-By: dje
Responsible-Changed-When: Fri Apr 25 20:17:05 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    AIX
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: dje
State-Changed-When: Fri Apr 25 20:17:05 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    This is a GNU sed porting issue, not a GCC issue.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10390