public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/10538: gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a + 1" statements
@ 2003-04-29 14:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-04-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10538; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: Remo Inverardi <invi@your.toilet.ch>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/10538: gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a +
 1" statements
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:32:28 -0500 (CDT)

 > I just gave the current GCC documentation a second look, but I was not
 > able to identify the extension your referring to (?) ...

 Maybe you're right. I tried to locate it in the manual some time ago and
 couldn't find it either, after it had been discussed on the mailing lists
 for the umpteenth time. It's documented in the mailing list archives, but
 that is not a very good place...

 > what's more, I
 > just tried compiling the same code with -ansi, -pedantic, and -Wall
 > options, neither of which gave me a warning ...

 That's why I didn't close the report.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: c++/10538: gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a + 1" statements
@ 2003-04-29 14:16 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-04-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, invi, nobody

Synopsis: gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a + 1" statements

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Tue Apr 29 14:16:19 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    You actually use a documented gcc extension to _suppress_
    the warning. I don't think I have an opinion about the
    usefulness of this extension, so leave it to others to
    decide what to do with the report.

    In any case, I can confirm the behavior with present
    mainline (3.4).

    W.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10538

* c++/10538: gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a + 1" statements
@ 2003-04-29 14:06 invi
From: invi @ 2003-04-29 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         10538
>Category:       c++
>Synopsis:       gcc 3.2.3 does not issue a warning for "int a = a + 1" statements
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          accepts-illegal
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Apr 29 14:06:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Remo Inverardi
>Release:        gcc-3.2.3
The following code compiles without any warnings:

void foo()
{
  int xxx = xxx + 1;
}

I think some warning like "xxx was accessed without being initialized" would be appropriate.
>How-To-Repeat:
See description.