public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: bootstrap/7210: bootstrap fails on darwin
@ 2003-05-06 14:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-06 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bootstrap/7210: bootstrap fails on darwin
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:31:55 -0500 (CDT)

 Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:30:11 +1200
 From: Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@lakeland.hopto.org>
 To: Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>

 I doubt it.  MacOS 10.2 fixes the problem and most people have upgraded
 by now.  It may be possible to fix it for free by updating the tool
 chain on 10.1

 Corrin

* Re: bootstrap/7210: bootstrap fails on darwin
@ 2003-05-06 14:32 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-06 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, lakeland, nobody

Synopsis: bootstrap fails on darwin

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Tue May  6 14:32:14 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Apparently fixed

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7210

* Re: bootstrap/7210: bootstrap fails on darwin
@ 2003-05-01 17:36 Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2003-05-01 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
To: lakeland@acm.org,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 nobody@gcc.gnu.org,  gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 19:35:31 +0200

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7210

 Is this one still actual?

 Thanks,
 Andreas

* Re: bootstrap/7210: bootstrap fails on darwin
@ 2002-07-05 19:06 Corrin Lakeland
From: Corrin Lakeland @ 2002-07-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@cs.otago.ac.nz>
To: Devang Patel <dpatel@apple.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:01:47 +1200 (NZST)

 On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Devang Patel wrote:

 > Try using "CC=cc -no-cpp-precomp"

 Unfortunatly I'm already doing that, here is the exact error:

 gcc -no-cpp-precomp -c -DIN_GCC    -g -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
 -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedan
 tic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I. -I./. -I./config
 -I./../include cppinit.c -o cppinit.o
 In file included from cppinit.c:23:
 system.h:331: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 In file included from system.h:490,
                  from cppinit.c:23:
 ../include/libiberty.h:86: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
 functions
 ../include/libiberty.h:158: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
 functions
 ../include/libiberty.h:168: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
 functions
 ../include/libiberty.h:193: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile
 functions
 In file included from cpplib.h:28,
                  from cppinit.c:24:
 line-map.h:89: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 line-map.h:94: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 In file included from cppinit.c:24:
 cpplib.h:508: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cpplib.h:535: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cpplib.h:564: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cpplib.h:566: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cpplib.h:681: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 In file included from cppinit.c:25:
 cpphash.h:479: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cpphash.h:506: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:151: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:151: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:151: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:152: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:152: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:152: parse error before `,'
 cppinit.c:898: warning: ANSI C forbids const or volatile functions
 make[1]: *** [cppinit.o] Error 1
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/lakeland/src/gcc/gcc'

 oucs581 ~/src/gcc % cc -v -v
 Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/2.95.2/specs
 Apple Computer, Inc. version gcc-934.3, based on gcc version 2.95.2
 19991024 (release)

 Anything else I can provide?

 Corrin

@ 2002-07-05 18:26 Devang Patel
From: Devang Patel @ 2002-07-05 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR bootstrap/7210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Devang Patel <dpatel@apple.com>
To: lakeland@acm.org
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 18:18:49 -0700

 Try using "CC=cc -no-cpp-precomp"

 Devang

@ 2002-07-04 13:36 lakeland
From: lakeland @ 2002-07-04 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7210
>Category:       bootstrap
>Synopsis:       bootstrap fails on darwin
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jul 04 13:36:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Corrin Lakeland
>Release:        Head
bootstrap fails on darwin due to errors in darwin's built
in CC.

cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'
cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'
cppinit.c:150: parse error before `,'

The problem isn't with the tricky #define, but with the
preallocation of static arrays.  It seems darwin's CC
(modified GCC 2.95.2) cannot parse declare & initialise.
>How-To-Repeat:
./configure, make