public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
@ 2003-05-08 14:19 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gawrilow, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, giovannibajo

Old Synopsis: Regression vs. 3.1: ICE on legal code
New Synopsis: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Thu May  8 14:19:06 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Ewgenij,
    let me start out with two remarks:
    - your chances that someone takes care of this might be
      higher, if you don't start out whining about the state
      of 3.3 a few days before the release and then send us
      a bulk of 80,000 lines of template metaprogramming. This
      is the most tangled, complicated, unintelligible, evil
      code I have ever seen. I spent about 3 hours yesterday
      night reducing it to 46,000 lines, but it's very hard
      to reduce it and it would have been significantly easier
      had you sent in a _reduced_ testcase.

    - I managed to extract about a dozen other testcases that
      failed somewhere in the compiler while reducing the big
      chunk. I imagine, you must have seen things like that as
      well while developing. If you get something like that,
      please wend them in, preferrably, as said, as _small_
      code snippets.

      Since the code is so incredibly complex, it might be
      worthwhile to make it a testcase. So if you want and
      can, I think it would be appreciated if you would set
      up a system that updates gcc from CVS source every once
      in a while (day, week) and runs it against your code.
      This way, you may be able to find bugs in gcc earlier
      than right before the release. The bug you reported will
      certainly not be fixed for 3.3.0.

    That being said:
    - the problem exists, it is an ICE in instantiate_decl.
    - it's a regression on 3.3. Code doesn't compile on 3.4,
      so I can't yet say what's on there
    - a somewhat smaller testcase is attached as reduced_1.ii
    - I will coordinate with Giovanni about how to further
      reduce the code. That's incredibly tedious business- on my way, I found a lot more ICEs. I'll reduce and submit
      them over time. If someone fixes the bug here and there
      are follow-up failures, please check for potentially
      submitted other bugs in this context

    W.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10661

* Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
@ 2003-05-08 16:36 Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2003-05-08 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Giovanni Bajo" <giovannibajo@libero.it>
To: <bangerth@dealii.org>,
	<gawrilow@math.tu-berlin.de>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<giovannibajo@libero.it>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 18:28:57 +0200

 Hello Ewgenij,

 I have just finished a first small analysys.

 Your code is illegal: within iterator_chain<>::_init(), line 69731 is
 ill-formed:

       Functions::init::defs<0>::_do(*owner, *this);

 Functions::init::defs<0> is a dependent postfix-expression, so the code must
 be changed to:

       Functions::init::template defs<0>::_do(*owner, *this);

 With this change, your whole code can be compiled correctly. Thus, I change
 the class of this bug to "ice-on-illegal-code". Again, I suggest you to test
 this again with 3.4, which is much stricter wrt C++ standard conformance.

 I will now continue work to reduce the ICE.

 Giovanni Bajo

* Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
@ 2003-05-08 16:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-08 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: Giovanni Bajo <giovannibajo@libero.it>
Cc: gawrilow@math.tu-berlin.de, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:31:54 -0500 (CDT)

 > I have just finished a first small analysys. [...]
 > Your code is illegal: within iterator_chain<>::_init(), line 69731 is
                                                                ^^^^^
 > ill-formed:

 You're incredible, man!

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
@ 2003-05-08 16:26 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: Giovanni Bajo <giovannibajo@libero.it>
Cc: gawrilow@math.tu-berlin.de, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:17:09 -0500 (CDT)

 > have such a larger and complex codebase,

 Ah, and I forgot to say that as well: I will refuse to look at any other
 report that comes with 80k lines of templates. Please try to strip
 things down, it's much easier for the author of the code than for us!

@ 2003-05-08 16:26 Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2003-05-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/10661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Giovanni Bajo" <giovannibajo@libero.it>
To: <bangerth@dealii.org>,
	<gawrilow@math.tu-berlin.de>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<giovannibajo@libero.it>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 18:13:28 +0200

 bangerth@dealii.org wrote:

 >     - it's a regression on 3.3. Code doesn't compile on 3.4,
 >       so I can't yet say what's on there

 Ewgenij, I suggest you to try compiling your library with GCC 3.4 as well,
 and submit testcases for it in case of failure. This is the right timeframe
 to do so if you want to be absolutely sure your software will run in 3.4.0
 as well. And as Wolfgang suggested, as a general rule of thumb, since you
 have such a larger and complex codebase, you might want to upgrade GCC from
 CVS every other week and check that everything always works.

 Giovanni Bajo

* Re: c++/10661: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl
@ 2003-05-08 15:16 giovannibajo
From: giovannibajo @ 2003-05-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gawrilow, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, giovannibajo

Synopsis: [3.3/3.4? regression] ICE in instantiate_decl

State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->open
State-Changed-By: bajo
State-Changed-When: Thu May  8 15:16:12 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    it's not analyzed until we have a small testcase

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10661