public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: other/10777: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
@ 2003-05-14 12:06 Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2003-05-14 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/10777; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
To: shrao@nyx.net, "Gcc-Bugs@Gcc. Gnu. Org" <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
   mark@codesourcery.com
Subject: Re: other/10777: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:00:27 -0400

 The FSF's gcc does not have cpp-precomp support so that
 is why the option is unrecognized aka it is always
 -no-cpp-precomp.
 Also it is a warning so you can ignore it.

 Can someone close this bug since it is not a bug.

 Thanks,
 Andrew Pinski

* Re: other/10777: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
@ 2003-05-14 14:10 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-05-14 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, mark, nobody, shrao

Synopsis: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Wed May 14 14:10:30 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Not an FSF gcc problem

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10777

* Re: other/10777: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
@ 2003-05-14  7:36 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-05-14  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR other/10777; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com>
To: shrao@nyx.net, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 00:34:02 -0700

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-
 trail&database=gcc&pr=10777

 Hello,

 first, before you e-mail the gcc release manager, you should at least
 send a message to gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org. Mark is responsible for seeing
 that the releases get out, not for all the problems in gcc. That's why
 we have a bugs mailing list.

 Second, the reason for this behavior is fairly simple. Apple's gcc has
 something called cpp-precomp which was their old method of precompiled
 headers. Official gcc releases don't have this option (it is an Apple
 specific thing, and will be going away soon, since it's now obsolete).

 We disable it when building gcc because it has a number of bugs which
 may cause compilation to fail. Because 99% of the people building gcc
 on MacOS X will be building it with Apple's gcc, we need to disable
 cpp-precomp to prevent the builds from failing.

 Unfortunately, as seen in your case, because we assume Apple gcc is the
 compiler being used to build gcc on MacOS X, we assume this option to
 disable cpp-precomp is available. In your case, to get rid of the
 warnings, all you have to do is set the CFLAGS environment variable to
 -O2 -g, ie do setenv CFLAGS "-O2 -g"  before building gcc, and this
 warning should go away. Hopefully we can come up with a way to automate
 this in the future.

 Dara

* other/10777: gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
@ 2003-05-14  6:36 shrao
From: shrao @ 2003-05-14  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats; +Cc: mark

>Number:         10777
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed May 14 06:36:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Shrisha Rao
>Release:        gcc 3.3-prerelease
When gcc 3.3 is compiled using Apple's gcc 3.1 (December 2002 Developer Tools) it compiles fine with just the usual warnings.  But when it is bootstrapped using itself (i.e., using a gcc 3.3 compiled from Apple's gcc), there is the odd warning message which repeats as often as the flag is used:

gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'

One example:

gcc   -g -no-cpp-precomp -DHAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZERS=0 -DIN_GCC   -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I../../gcc-3.3/gcc/gcc -I../../gcc-3.3/gcc/gcc/. -I../../gcc-3.3/gcc/gcc/config -I../../gcc-3.3/gcc/gcc/../include -c insn-recog.c \
  -o insn-recog.o
gcc: unrecognized option `-no-cpp-precomp'

The bootstrap does run to completion nonetheless, and there are no tangible consequences of this warning that I have been able to find.  It still is a wonder why gcc 3.3 does not have -no-cpp-precomp enabled.