* Discussion: Removal of mips half-pic
@ 2001-12-04  0:51 Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2001-12-04  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,
	I thought I'd throw this out here since as far as I can tell it isn't
used anymore, but other comments are welcome. I'm thinking of removing
the half-pic support from the mips backend. I can't think of a current
use for it and don't believe it's been used in years. Are there any
suggestions for a timeline, or can anyone think of a reason to keep it
around?

Thanks.

-eric

* Re: Discussion: Removal of mips half-pic
@ 2001-12-04 10:24 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2001-12-04 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Christopher; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:51:36AM -0800, Eric Christopher wrote:
> 	I thought I'd throw this out here since as far as I can tell it isn't
> used anymore, but other comments are welcome. I'm thinking of removing
> the half-pic support from the mips backend.

I think the discussion should be about half-pic across the entire
compiler.  Does anyone know if any such OSF/1 systems are still live?
(And before anyone gets confused that's OSF/1 as distributed by OSF,
not OSF/1 nee DU nee Tru64 as distributed by Digital.)

r~

* Re: Discussion: Removal of mips half-pic
@ 2001-12-10  9:10 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2001-12-10  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Christopher; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:51:36AM -0800, Eric Christopher wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I thought I'd throw this out here since as far as I can tell it isn't
> used anymore, but other comments are welcome. I'm thinking of removing
> the half-pic support from the mips backend. I can't think of a current
> use for it and don't believe it's been used in years. Are there any
> suggestions for a timeline, or can anyone think of a reason to keep it
> around?

The only time it was used was in OSF/1.0 (from OSF, not from DEC), which used
the OSF/rose object format (roughly 1990 time frame).  OSF/1.1 used the
standard ELF tools (and no longer supported the MIPS anyway).  I asked on the
OSF alums mailing list, and could find no extant users of the MIPS half-pic
stuff (which was sort half-baked anyway, and required you to pass -l options at
compile time for the libraries you intended to use).  I think there may have 1
or 2 people with 386/486's with the x86 half-pic stuff, but they weren't
getting new compilers.  I would drop support for the osfrose object file format
at the same time (from mips, x86, and ns32k).  I've been meaning to do it for
years.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304

* Re: Discussion: Removal of mips half-pic
@ 2001-12-10  9:47   ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2001-12-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson, Eric Christopher, gcc

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:24:53AM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:51:36AM -0800, Eric Christopher wrote:
> > 	I thought I'd throw this out here since as far as I can tell it isn't
> > used anymore, but other comments are welcome. I'm thinking of removing
> > the half-pic support from the mips backend.
>
> I think the discussion should be about half-pic across the entire
> compiler.  Does anyone know if any such OSF/1 systems are still live?
> (And before anyone gets confused that's OSF/1 as distributed by OSF,
> not OSF/1 nee DU nee Tru64 as distributed by Digital.)

I just out a call to see if there were any people still using it.  I suspect
not.