* About #sccs
@ 2004-12-06  8:39 Luca Benini
From: Luca Benini @ 2004-12-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

I found in (cpp.info.gz) this

[cpp info]
The `#sccs' directive is recognized, because it appears in the
header files of some systems.  It is a very old, obscure, extension
which we did not invent, and we have been unable to find any
documentation of what it should do, so GCC simply ignores it.

[Sun  FORTRAN 77 4.0 User Guide)
Some developers put one or more SCCS ID keywords into each file, but
that is optional. These keywords are later identified with a version
number each time the files are checked in with an SCCS get or delget
command. There are three likely places to put these strings:[...]

I believe i've resolved the Obscure, the Arcane mister of #sccs ... ;-)

Luca

--
But how can I implement unimaginable chaos in my compiler?
				-Geerhardt Goos-

* Re: About #sccs
@ 2004-12-06 10:28 ` Patrick McFarland
From: Patrick McFarland @ 2004-12-06 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Monday 06 December 2004 03:39, Luca Benini wrote:
> [Sun  FORTRAN 77 4.0 User Guide)
> Some developers put one or more SCCS ID keywords into each file, but
> that is optional. These keywords are later identified with a version
> number each time the files are checked in with an SCCS get or delget
> command. There are three likely places to put these strings:[...]

So its something like CVS's $Id$?

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || unknown@panax.com

* Re: About #sccs
@ 2004-12-06 10:48   ` Luca Benini
From: Luca Benini @ 2004-12-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McFarland; +Cc: gcc

Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Monday 06 December 2004 03:39, Luca Benini wrote:
>
>>[Sun  FORTRAN 77 4.0 User Guide)
>>Some developers put one or more SCCS ID keywords into each file, but
>>that is optional. These keywords are later identified with a version
>>number each time the files are checked in with an SCCS get or delget
>>command. There are three likely places to put these strings:[...]
>

> So its something like CVS's $Id$?

Yes.

--

@ 2004-12-06 12:24 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-12-06 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Benini; +Cc: gcc

Luca Benini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found in (cpp.info.gz) this
>
> [cpp info]
> The `#sccs' directive is recognized, because it appears in the
> header files of some systems.  It is a very old, obscure, extension
> which we did not invent, and we have been unable to find any
> documentation of what it should do, so GCC simply ignores it.
>
> [Sun  FORTRAN 77 4.0 User Guide)
> Some developers put one or more SCCS ID keywords into each file, but
> that is optional. These keywords are later identified with a version
> number each time the files are checked in with an SCCS get or delget
> command. There are three likely places to put these strings:[...]
>

> I believe i've resolved the Obscure, the Arcane mister of #sccs ... ;-)

we know #sccs is something to do with SCCS, but what is not known is what it
should do to the resulting object file.  The sun manual appears to
indicate that you can put $Id$ in a fortran file.

nathan

* Re: About #sccs
@ 2004-12-06 16:30   ` Luca Benini
From: Luca Benini @ 2004-12-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: gcc

Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> should do to the resulting object file.
dropped, i think

--

@ 2004-12-06 17:39     ` Manfred Hollstein
From: Manfred Hollstein @ 2004-12-06 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Benini; +Cc: Nathan Sidwell, gcc

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004, 17:30:32 +0100, Luca Benini wrote:
> Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> >should do to the resulting object file.
> dropped, i think

IIRC, on archictures using object file formats being able to store
data in sections not being loaded into memory upon execution, such
strings went into such a ".comment" section. This should be easily
doable with nowadays ELF, but instead of #sccs, something like
'#pragma ident "whatsover"' might be more appropriate.

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred