* The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-28 10:01 Piotr Wyderski
From: Piotr Wyderski @ 2009-07-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Concepts have recently been removed from the C++0x Standard Draft.
Will the concepts branch be discontinued?

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-28 10:05 ` James Dennett
From: James Dennett @ 2009-07-28 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Wyderski; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Piotr Wyderski<piotr.wyderski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Concepts have recently been removed from the C++0x Standard Draft.
> Will the concepts branch be discontinued?

I hope not.  Concepts will be "finished" and re-added to C++, and it
would be immensely helpful in that effort if there were a version of
g++ with stronger Concepts support than ConceptGCC had.

-- James

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-28 14:48   ` Ed Smith-Rowland
From: Ed Smith-Rowland @ 2009-07-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Dennett; +Cc: Piotr Wyderski, gcc

James Dennett wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Piotr Wyderski<piotr.wyderski@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Concepts have recently been removed from the C++0x Standard Draft.
>> Will the concepts branch be discontinued?
>>

> I hope not.  Concepts will be "finished" and re-added to C++, and it
> would be immensely helpful in that effort if there were a version of
> g++ with stronger Concepts support than ConceptGCC had.
>
> -- James

We need a gcc branch for concepts.  One of the major complaints on
concepts and one of the major contributors to its being dropped is that
there is no implementation experience.  There was no implementation of
sufficient quality and availability to give compiler developers
confidence and point to wrinkles in the definition and users time to
learn and play.  It will take a good couple of years to get one working.

That leaves open the question of whether the ConceptGCC branch is the
one.  I just don't know.  Maybe someone should start over.  I think aim
for simplicity.  That was another issue I think:
http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2009/n2906.pdf
(Stroustrup)

Ed

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-28 16:22     ` Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2009-07-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Smith-Rowland; +Cc: James Dennett, Piotr Wyderski, gcc

Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
> James Dennett wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Piotr
>> Wyderski<piotr.wyderski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Concepts have recently been removed from the C++0x Standard Draft.
>>> Will the concepts branch be discontinued?
>>>

>> I hope not.  Concepts will be "finished" and re-added to C++, and it
>> would be immensely helpful in that effort if there were a version of
>> g++ with stronger Concepts support than ConceptGCC had.
>>
>> -- James
>>

> We need a gcc branch for concepts.  One of the major complaints on
> concepts and one of the major contributors to its being dropped is that
> there is no implementation experience.

It could perhaps be not a branch, but a plugin, but I know not much
about C++ concepts, and absolutely nothing about the existing C++
concepts branch[es].

My belief is that making such code a plugin and not a branch would make
both the plugin feature and the experimental language feature (concepts)
more popular. And perhaps maintaining a plugin could mean less work than
maintaing an entire branch.

Regards.

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-28 19:18       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2009-07-28 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile STARYNKEVITCH; +Cc: Ed Smith-Rowland, James Dennett, Piotr Wyderski, gcc

2009/7/28 Basile STARYNKEVITCH:

> It could perhaps be not a branch, but a plugin, but I know not much about
> C++ concepts, and absolutely nothing about the existing C++ concepts
> branch[es].

I don't think that would work - the standard library changes that go
along with the language feature could not be implemented as a plugin.
A branch seems like the right way to do it.

Jonathan

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-07-31 21:40     ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2009-07-31 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Smith-Rowland
  Cc: James Dennett, Piotr Wyderski, gcc@gcc.gnu.org >> GCC

On 07/28/2009 10:47 AM, Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
> We need a gcc branch for concepts.

Probably, if someone is working on them, just as for any ongoing project.

> That leaves open the question of whether the ConceptGCC branch is the
> one.

No.  Doug felt that much of ConceptGCC needed to be rewritten; the
ConceptGCC branch is just a place to store the existing work for later
reference.

There is a cxx0x-concepts-branch, but no work has been done on it.
Probably when someone starts serious work on reimplementing concepts
we'll create a new branch.  I don't currently have any plans to work on
concepts, as there are plenty of other things to work on that will be in
C++0x.

Jason

* Re: The future of concepts
@ 2009-08-01  2:22       ` Ed Smith-Rowland
From: Ed Smith-Rowland @ 2009-08-01  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: James Dennett, Piotr Wyderski, gcc@gcc.gnu.org >> GCC

Jason Merrill wrote:
> On 07/28/2009 10:47 AM, Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
>> We need a gcc branch for concepts.
>
> Probably, if someone is working on them, just as for any ongoing project.
>
>> That leaves open the question of whether the ConceptGCC branch is the
>> one.
>
> No.  Doug felt that much of ConceptGCC needed to be rewritten; the
> ConceptGCC branch is just a place to store the existing work for later
> reference.
That effort did look dead.  It seemed to me like a clean slate would be
nice.

One idea I had was to look at the metaprogramming pseudo concepts that
seem to be in the library already and beefing those up.  Maybe that plus
a tiny amount of core language secret sauce would be the best approach
for concepts.

> There is a cxx0x-concepts-branch, but no work has been done on it.
> Probably when someone starts serious work on reimplementing concepts
> we'll create a new branch.  I don't currently have any plans to work
> on concepts, as there are plenty of other things to work on that will
> be in C++0x.
I agree.  There's constexpr, lambdas, nullptr, etc.

Then there's library stuff like regex mostly.

I was thinking we'd have a lot of green check marks for most of C++-0x
when it finally comes out.  I think other compilers will too.  There
won't be hardly any latency at all between ratification and good and
broad support for C++-0x.  That's nothing to sneeze at.