* gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-03 11:44 ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-09-03 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Starting with gcc-12, gcd needs a D compiler to bootstrap, but gcc-11
does not allow to build the necessary runtime on all platforms (Cygwin
for instance).  How is the prospective bootstrap sequence on such
platforms?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-12  8:23 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2023-09-12  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASSI; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Sep 3, 2023 at 1:45 PM ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Starting with gcc-12, gcd needs a D compiler to bootstrap, but gcc-11
> does not allow to build the necessary runtime on all platforms (Cygwin
> for instance).  How is the prospective bootstrap sequence on such
> platforms?

I think we should fix this build problems.  Is there a bugzilla with
more details about the problem?

Richard.

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-12 19:16   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-09-12 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Richard Biener via Gcc writes:
> I think we should fix this build problems.  Is there a bugzilla with
> more details about the problem?

No, I don't have an account on that bugtracker.

It is possible that the build would perhaps work, but the configure
check for the presence of a D compiler requires not just the compiler,
but also a runtime and thus fails on Cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-12 19:42     ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2023-09-12 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASSI; +Cc: gcc

ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Richard Biener via Gcc writes:
>> I think we should fix this build problems.  Is there a bugzilla with
>> more details about the problem?
>
> No, I don't have an account on that bugtracker.
>
> It is possible that the build would perhaps work, but the configure
> check for the presence of a D compiler requires not just the compiler,
> but also a runtime and thus fails on Cygwin.

Just try to configure gcc with --enable-libphobos, which overrides the
default of LIBPHOBOS_SUPPORTED.  In quite a number of cases, this just
works, but hasn't yet been verified.  You won't know until you try,
though.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-12 20:08     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2023-09-12 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASSI; +Cc: gcc

> Am 12.09.2023 um 21:18 schrieb ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de>:
>
> Richard Biener via Gcc writes:
>> I think we should fix this build problems.  Is there a bugzilla with
>> more details about the problem?
>
> No, I don't have an account on that bugtracker.
>
> It is possible that the build would perhaps work, but the configure
> check for the presence of a D compiler requires not just the compiler,
> but also a runtime and thus fails on Cygwin.

The alternative then ist to build D with a cross compiler.

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-12 21:13       ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2023-09-12 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASSI; +Cc: GCC Development

> On 12 Sep 2023, at 20:42, Rainer Orth <ro@cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
>
> ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> Richard Biener via Gcc writes:
>>> I think we should fix this build problems.  Is there a bugzilla with
>>> more details about the problem?
>>
>> No, I don't have an account on that bugtracker.
>>
>> It is possible that the build would perhaps work, but the configure
>> check for the presence of a D compiler requires not just the compiler,
>> but also a runtime and thus fails on Cygwin.
>
> Just try to configure gcc with --enable-libphobos, which overrides the
> default of LIBPHOBOS_SUPPORTED.  In quite a number of cases, this just
> works, but hasn't yet been verified.  You won't know until you try,
> though.

also you can add —with-libphobos-druntime-only to the GCC-11 build, that
makes a compiler sufficient for bootstrapping 12+ and is much less demanding
on completeness of OS support.

Iain

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-13  5:56       ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-09-13  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: ASSI, gcc

Rainer Orth writes:
> Just try to configure gcc with --enable-libphobos, which overrides the
> default of LIBPHOBOS_SUPPORTED.  In quite a number of cases, this just
> works, but hasn't yet been verified.  You won't know until you try,
> though.

I did that and it indeed doesn't build.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-13  5:59         ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-09-13  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iain Sandoe; +Cc: ASSI, GCC Development

Iain Sandoe writes:
> also you can add —with-libphobos-druntime-only to the GCC-11 build, that
> makes a compiler sufficient for bootstrapping 12+ and is much less demanding
> on completeness of OS support.

I think I tried that as well and failed, but thsi was likely on an
earlier gcc-11 or even gcc-10 version.  I will try again with the
current version to see if that gets me a gdc that can at least build
itself on gcc-12+,

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-13  6:15       ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-09-13  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener via Gcc; +Cc: ASSI, Richard Biener

Richard Biener via Gcc writes:
>> It is possible that the build would perhaps work, but the configure
>> check for the presence of a D compiler requires not just the compiler,
>> but also a runtime and thus fails on Cygwin.
>
> The alternative then ist to build D with a cross compiler.

Which also doesn't currently exist AFAIK, so that doesn't really seem
to be an option that eases the process.  I've recently recovered the Ada
compiler on Cygwin as it was broken on Cygwin since gcc-8 and in the end
I've gone back to gcc-7 to then build it again on gcc-11.  Anyway, I
plan to set up a cross-compiling environment from Linux since I've
upgraded my main box recently to something I could actually do a build
on, but of course I'll have to find some extra time for doing that.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-12+: D / phobos runtime
@ 2023-09-13  9:25         ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2023-09-13  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASSI; +Cc: gcc

ASSI <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Rainer Orth writes:
>> Just try to configure gcc with --enable-libphobos, which overrides the
>> default of LIBPHOBOS_SUPPORTED.  In quite a number of cases, this just
>> works, but hasn't yet been verified.  You won't know until you try,
>> though.
>
> I did that and it indeed doesn't build.

then please file bugs on https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ with the details,
otherwise there's nothing to be done.  You can also search Bugzilla for
other reports that match your problems.  Besides, you can also check the
Bugzilla of the upstream Dlang project: https://dlang.org/bugstats.html.
Sometimes, issues have already been reported there, maybe even with a
tentative patch.  GCC's libphobos mostly just imports the upstream code,
primarily integrating it into GCC's build system.

When I ran into libphobos build problems on Solaris in the past, I went
exactly that route.  The GCC D maintainer, Iain Buclaw, has been
extremly helpful in the process of getting things to work, but
ultimately someone with an interest in the affected target, the
necessary knowledge about it and access to the platform to develop and
test fixes will have to do the work.