* GSoC Fortran - Do Concurrent
@ 2022-05-03 18:34 carrollbryanm
From: carrollbryanm @ 2022-05-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

I know I'm too late for GSoC, but if Tobias Burnus or someone wants to
mentor me, I'm willing to work on the Fortran - Do Concurrent project, as a
volunteer, if it's not already taken. I didn't see the GSoC until a day
before it was due.

A little about myself: I'm a research associate at the Center for Analysis
and Prediction of Storms at the National Weather Center on the University of
Oklahoma campus. Mostly I do hardware and software support on our servers
and some occasional software development. I received my M.Sc. with a major
of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Central
Oklahoma in the summer of 2020. I have experience with C, C++, Python, MPI,
some OpenMP, and some Fortran. I took a compiler course a few years ago; so
I have some experience with compilers. I've been wanting to get into GCC
development.

If the Fortran - Do Concurrent is already taken, I'm also interested in some
of the other projects. Let me know if you want to proceed.

Thank you,

Bryan Carroll

* Re: GSoC Fortran - Do Concurrent
@ 2022-05-09  9:26 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2022-05-09  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Carroll; +Cc: gcc, Tobias Burnus, Wileam Yonatan Phan

Hi Bryan!

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to GCC!

On 2022-05-03T13:34:13-0500, Bryan Carroll via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> I know I'm too late for GSoC, but if Tobias Burnus or someone wants to
> mentor me, I'm willing to work on the Fortran - Do Concurrent project, as a
> volunteer, if it's not already taken. I didn't see the GSoC until a day
> before it was due.

So did another aspirant, Wil, who within very short notice threw together
a GSoC project application for that very task.  ;-P

I'm putting Wil in CC -- open discussion, and all that.

> A little about myself: I'm a research associate at the Center for Analysis
> and Prediction of Storms at the National Weather Center on the University of
> Oklahoma campus. Mostly I do hardware and software support on our servers
> and some occasional software development. I received my M.Sc. with a major
> of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Central
> Oklahoma in the summer of 2020. I have experience with C, C++, Python, MPI,
> some OpenMP, and some Fortran. I took a compiler course a few years ago; so
> I have some experience with compilers. I've been wanting to get into GCC
> development.

Yes, that's certainly suitable background and motivation to start
contributing to GCC!

> If the Fortran - Do Concurrent is already taken, I'm also interested in some
> of the other projects. Let me know if you want to proceed.

We do the GSoC project ranking for GCC, but in the end it's Google who
decide how many GSoC slots we get, etc.  So, at this point, we don't know
yet whether Wil's "Fortran DO CONCURRENT" gets accepted as a GSoC project
this year, or whether it possibly might not work out for other reasons.
Assuming that Wil's GSoC project does come to fruition, we'd have to look
for a different task for you: the GSoC rules assume that participants
individually work on their own project.  Thus, either have to wait a bit
longer, or find a different project that you're interested in?

Grüße
 Thomas
-----------------
Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955

* Re: GSoC Fortran - Do Concurrent
@ 2022-05-09  9:44   ` Wileam Yonatan Phan
From: Wileam Yonatan Phan @ 2022-05-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge, Bryan Carroll; +Cc: gcc, Tobias Burnus

Hi Bryan and Thomas,

That's correct, I found out about this particular GSoC project idea on DO
CONCURRENT literally within 48 hours of the contributor proposal deadline as I
outlined in my post in https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2022-April/238581.html
 .

To be honest I'm excited about having GFortran to be the second compiler to be
able to offload DO CONCURRENT to the GPU after NVIDIA nvfortran. Maybe you can
even help me with the nitty-gritty stuff of, say, interfacing directly with
pthreads for the `-fdo-concurrent=parallel` backend (since I mostly use OpenMP
on the CPU side so I don't have that much experience with pthreads aside from a
graduate-level course I took on scientific computing from Prof. Jack Dongarra
at UT Knoxville).

Looking forward to collaborate on this!

Thanks,
Wil