* Re: GSoC'2023: Separate Host Process Offloading: GCC
       [not found] <CABDzTvYzRrnsXty_m6dKfr113CE1V7GJEaJ+CiRofbZxfYNNYw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-03-13 20:37 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2023-03-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu patel; +Cc: gcc

-----------------
Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4757 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1865 bytes --]

Hi Madhu!

(As you've sent your equally worded
"GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC" email
to <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, let me also Cc my reply here to that list, so that
others may contribute, too.)

On 2023-03-09T01:36:02+0530, Madhu patel <patelmadhu06@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in working on the project `Separate Host Process Offloading`
> in the GCC organization through GSoC'2023.

Great, and welcome to GCC!  :-)

> Please suggest a few initial tasks I can work on during the application
> period and attach them to my application.

Building GCC and producing test results would be one obvious first task,
have you worked on that already?
<https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/#Getting_Started_with_GCC_Development> has some
pointers to get started.  If you have specific questions, we're happy to
help, of course.

Then, get familiar with the basic concepts of code offloading in GCC.
<https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Offloading> is the best (only?) we have,
unfortunately, and it's somewhat out of date, so beware, sorry.  Looking
at existing libgomp plugins may help: 'libgomp/plugin/plugin-*.c', and
actually also the very simple 'libgomp/oacc-host.c'.  That's essentially
the API you need to care about (for OpenACC; but OpenMP 'target' also
won't require much more, for a start).

Make some thoughts (or actual experiments) about how we could
use/implement a separate host process for code offloading.

> I have already prepared a
> timeline/planner, great if you could have a look at it and suggest any
> enhancements.

That wasn't attached to or referred to in your email?

> Additionally, I have signed in to the mailing lists, and IRCs
> and done the initial tasks as described on the project page [1]
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode>.

Which specifically?

Grüße
 Thomas

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC'2023: Separate Host Process Offloading: GCC
@ 2023-03-13 20:43   ` Thomas Schwinge
       [not found]     ` <CABDzTvYDtBpNHQbd2Ycp7rtfE5mRezRmOCe=2maSOTm2_T61ug@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2023-03-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu patel; +Cc: gcc

Hi!

Sorry, let me try again -- our IT department likes to garble emails in
order to attach a "disclaimer"...

On 2023-03-13T21:37:24+0100, I wrote:
> Hi Madhu!
>
> (As you've sent your equally worded
> "GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC" email
> to <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, let me also Cc my reply here to that list, so that
> others may contribute, too.)
>

> On 2023-03-09T01:36:02+0530, Madhu patel <patelmadhu06@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm interested in working on the project `Separate Host Process Offloading`
>> in the GCC organization through GSoC'2023.
>
> Great, and welcome to GCC!  :-)
>
>> Please suggest a few initial tasks I can work on during the application
>> period and attach them to my application.
>
> Building GCC and producing test results would be one obvious first task,
> have you worked on that already?
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/#Getting_Started_with_GCC_Development> has some
> pointers to get started.  If you have specific questions, we're happy to
> help, of course.
>
> Then, get familiar with the basic concepts of code offloading in GCC.
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Offloading> is the best (only?) we have,
> unfortunately, and it's somewhat out of date, so beware, sorry.  Looking
> at existing libgomp plugins may help: 'libgomp/plugin/plugin-*.c', and
> actually also the very simple 'libgomp/oacc-host.c'.  That's essentially
> the API you need to care about (for OpenACC; but OpenMP 'target' also
> won't require much more, for a start).
>
> Make some thoughts (or actual experiments) about how we could
> use/implement a separate host process for code offloading.
>
>> I have already prepared a
>> timeline/planner, great if you could have a look at it and suggest any
>> enhancements.
>
> That wasn't attached to or referred to in your email?
>
>> Additionally, I have signed in to the mailing lists, and IRCs
>> and done the initial tasks as described on the project page [1]
>> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode>.
>
> Which specifically?

Grüße
 Thomas