* [gimple-ssa] result_decl and ssa_name
@ 2024-04-05 11:58 Pierrick Philippe
From: Pierrick Philippe @ 2024-04-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

I do have a question regarding ssa_name and result_decl.

For example on the following gimple function:

int f ()
{
  int x;
  int D.2747;
  int _2;

  <bb 2> :
  x_1 = 42;
  _2 = x_1;

  <bb 3> :
<L0>:
  return _2;

}

On the above example, using the macro SSA_NAME_VAR() on _2 does not
yield anything usable.
Neither to call ssa_default_def() on the result of the result_decl
obtain through macro DECL_RESULT().

Is there a way to get the ssa_name corresponding to the result_decl of a
function obtained through the use of macro DECL_RESULT() on a fn_decl?
And/or the other way around? I.e., from the returned ssa_name of a
function to the result_decl of that function?

I totally might be missing something here, but I cannot figure out what.

Thanks for your time,

Pierrick

* Re: [gimple-ssa] result_decl and ssa_name
@ 2024-04-05 12:46 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2024-04-05 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierrick Philippe; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 1:59 PM Pierrick Philippe
<pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I do have a question regarding ssa_name and result_decl.
>
> For example on the following gimple function:
>
> int f ()
> {
>   int x;
>   int D.2747;
>   int _2;
>
>   <bb 2> :
>   x_1 = 42;
>   _2 = x_1;
>
>   <bb 3> :
> <L0>:
>   return _2;
>
> }
>
> On the above example, using the macro SSA_NAME_VAR() on _2 does not
> yield anything usable.
> Neither to call ssa_default_def() on the result of the result_decl
> obtain through macro DECL_RESULT().
>
> Is there a way to get the ssa_name corresponding to the result_decl of a
> function obtained through the use of macro DECL_RESULT() on a fn_decl?
> And/or the other way around? I.e., from the returned ssa_name of a
> function to the result_decl of that function?
>
> I totally might be missing something here, but I cannot figure out what.

DECL_RESULT isn't always used (as in your example).  Not all SSA names
have corresponding declarations, we have "anonymous" SSA names which
have a NULL_TREE SSA_NAME_VAR (such as the _2 in your example).

What do you try to find in the end?  If you want to find all returns you can
walk predecessors of EXIT_BLOCK and look at their last stmt whether they
are greturn statements.

Richard.

@ 2024-04-05 13:44   ` Pierrick Philippe
From: Pierrick Philippe @ 2024-04-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc

On 05/04/2024 14:46, Richard Biener wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 1:59 PM Pierrick Philippe
> <pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I do have a question regarding ssa_name and result_decl.
>>
>> For example on the following gimple function:
>>
>> int f ()
>> {
>>   int x;
>>   int D.2747;
>>   int _2;
>>
>>   <bb 2> :
>>   x_1 = 42;
>>   _2 = x_1;
>>
>>   <bb 3> :
>> <L0>:
>>   return _2;
>>
>> }
>>
>> On the above example, using the macro SSA_NAME_VAR() on _2 does not
>> yield anything usable.
>> Neither to call ssa_default_def() on the result of the result_decl
>> obtain through macro DECL_RESULT().
>>
>> Is there a way to get the ssa_name corresponding to the result_decl of a
>> function obtained through the use of macro DECL_RESULT() on a fn_decl?
>> And/or the other way around? I.e., from the returned ssa_name of a
>> function to the result_decl of that function?
>>
>> I totally might be missing something here, but I cannot figure out what.
> DECL_RESULT isn't always used (as in your example).  Not all SSA names
> have corresponding declarations, we have "anonymous" SSA names which
> have a NULL_TREE SSA_NAME_VAR (such as the _2 in your example).
I see, that makes so much more sense to me now.
> What do you try to find in the end?  If you want to find all returns you can
> walk predecessors of EXIT_BLOCK and look at their last stmt whether they
> are greturn statements.

I am implementing a state_machine within the analyzer, and I am trying
to understand where would be the best place to propagate the state of
the return value.
I intuitively thought it would be best to do so in the
state_machine::on_pop_frame() method, which is called by the analyzer
between the two frames of the caller and the callee. What I do have
access to is the struct function of the callee/caller, the gcall
instruction in the caller and the callee have been processed by my
analysis.

And to illustrate, here I do have the _2 ssa_name and its state which I
know in that case should be propagate to the lhs of the caller gcall
instruction.

Again I might be taking this in a wrong way.

@ 2024-04-06 12:53     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2024-04-06 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierrick Philippe; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 3:44 PM Pierrick Philippe
<pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:

> On 05/04/2024 14:46, Richard Biener wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 1:59 PM Pierrick Philippe
> <pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I do have a question regarding ssa_name and result_decl.
>
> For example on the following gimple function:
>
> int f ()
> {
>   int x;
>   int D.2747;
>   int _2;
>
>   <bb 2> :
>   x_1 = 42;
>   _2 = x_1;
>
>   <bb 3> :
> <L0>:
>   return _2;
>
> }
>
> On the above example, using the macro SSA_NAME_VAR() on _2 does not
> yield anything usable.
> Neither to call ssa_default_def() on the result of the result_decl
> obtain through macro DECL_RESULT().
>
> Is there a way to get the ssa_name corresponding to the result_decl of a
> function obtained through the use of macro DECL_RESULT() on a fn_decl?
> And/or the other way around? I.e., from the returned ssa_name of a
> function to the result_decl of that function?
>
> I totally might be missing something here, but I cannot figure out what.
>
> DECL_RESULT isn't always used (as in your example).  Not all SSA names
> have corresponding declarations, we have "anonymous" SSA names which
> have a NULL_TREE SSA_NAME_VAR (such as the _2 in your example).
>
> I see, that makes so much more sense to me now.
>
> What do you try to find in the end?  If you want to find all returns you can
> walk predecessors of EXIT_BLOCK and look at their last stmt whether they
> are greturn statements.
>
> I am implementing a state_machine within the analyzer, and I am trying to understand where would be the best place to propagate the state of the return value.
> I intuitively thought it would be best to do so in the state_machine::on_pop_frame() method, which is called by the analyzer between the two frames of the caller and the callee. What I do have access to is the struct function of the callee/caller, the gcall instruction in the caller and the callee have been processed by my analysis.

It might make sense to record the analysis of the return value in
meta-data that the analyzer keeps and access it that way.
Other than that you'd have to do it the way I said with finding the
greturn stmts again and look at what is returned there.

@ 2024-04-08  8:47       ` Pierrick Philippe
From: Pierrick Philippe @ 2024-04-08  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc

On 06/04/2024 14:53, Richard Biener wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 3:44 PM Pierrick Philippe
> <pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:
>> On 05/04/2024 14:46, Richard Biener wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 1:59 PM Pierrick Philippe
>> <pierrick.philippe@irisa.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I do have a question regarding ssa_name and result_decl.
>>
>> For example on the following gimple function:
>>
>> int f ()
>> {
>>   int x;
>>   int D.2747;
>>   int _2;
>>
>>   <bb 2> :
>>   x_1 = 42;
>>   _2 = x_1;
>>
>>   <bb 3> :
>> <L0>:
>>   return _2;
>>
>> }
>>
>> On the above example, using the macro SSA_NAME_VAR() on _2 does not
>> yield anything usable.
>> Neither to call ssa_default_def() on the result of the result_decl
>> obtain through macro DECL_RESULT().
>>
>> Is there a way to get the ssa_name corresponding to the result_decl of a
>> function obtained through the use of macro DECL_RESULT() on a fn_decl?
>> And/or the other way around? I.e., from the returned ssa_name of a
>> function to the result_decl of that function?
>>
>> I totally might be missing something here, but I cannot figure out what.
>>
>> DECL_RESULT isn't always used (as in your example).  Not all SSA names
>> have corresponding declarations, we have "anonymous" SSA names which
>> have a NULL_TREE SSA_NAME_VAR (such as the _2 in your example).
>>
>> I see, that makes so much more sense to me now.
>>
>> What do you try to find in the end?  If you want to find all returns you can
>> walk predecessors of EXIT_BLOCK and look at their last stmt whether they
>> are greturn statements.
>>
>> I am implementing a state_machine within the analyzer, and I am trying to understand where would be the best place to propagate the state of the return value.
>> I intuitively thought it would be best to do so in the state_machine::on_pop_frame() method, which is called by the analyzer between the two frames of the caller and the callee. What I do have access to is the struct function of the callee/caller, the gcall instruction in the caller and the callee have been processed by my analysis.
> It might make sense to record the analysis of the return value in
> meta-data that the analyzer keeps and access it that way.
> Other than that you'd have to do it the way I said with finding the
> greturn stmts again and look at what is returned there.

That is what I had in mind, thanks for answering me.

I do have another question though, how do you obtain the decl_context of
such an ssa_name? The DECL_CONTEXT macro is failing during the tree
check and I ha ve no idea how to know where a given ssa_name is declared
without accessing its inner var (through SSA_NAME_VAR). And this
operation is failing on _i ssa_name trees.

@ 2024-04-08  9:02         ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2024-04-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierrick Philippe; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 10:47 AM Pierrick Philippe
> [...]
>
> It might make sense to record the analysis of the return value in
> meta-data that the analyzer keeps and access it that way.
> Other than that you'd have to do it the way I said with finding the
> greturn stmts again and look at what is returned there.
>
> That is what I had in mind, thanks for answering me.
>
> I do have another question though, how do you obtain the decl_context of such an ssa_name? The DECL_CONTEXT macro is failing during the tree check and I ha ve no idea how to know where a given ssa_name is declared without accessing its inner var (through SSA_NAME_VAR). And this operation is failing on _i ssa_name trees.

There is no DECL_CONTEXT for SSA names, if the name is anonymous (no
SSA_NAME_VAR) then the context is
implicityly the whole function, thus the FUNCTION_DECL.