* Help for a GCC school assignment
@ 2022-11-29  2:19 throw away
From: throw away @ 2022-11-29  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

 Hello,

For class, *I need to come up with a way to improve GCC* and then make a
quick presentation (no implementation required). Ideally, this idea isn't
being worked on already. *I'd appreciate help with coming up with an idea.*

I've thought about this and I'm having trouble coming up with anything. I'm
really stuck, so I thought I'd reach out here. (Reddit sent me here)

The best I could come up with was something along the lines of "makefile"
or *adding support for a new language. *For the new language, I was thinking*
something** like Swift.* The only reason I chose Swift was that there was a
lot of information online and it uses the Clang/LLVM framework, a sort of
competitor to GCC.

I see that Swift has its own compiler which uses a custom version of
Clang/LLVM. To add Swift to GCC, I imagine you'd have to add a new front
end for Swift. This front end would have a bunch of code (most adapted from
the open-source Swift compiler) to convert Swift code to generic. From
there, the middle end and back end can do the rest.

Welp, that's where I am at right now, if anyone has better ideas, I'd
really appreciate some help.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-11-29  2:19 UTC | newest]