* OMPD Branch
@ 2022-05-19  1:39 Mohamed Atef
From: Mohamed Atef @ 2022-05-19  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek, gcc

Hello,
  Should I commit to devel/omp/gcc-11 branch?

* Re: OMPD Branch
@ 2022-05-19  7:47 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2022-05-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef, Jakub Jelinek, gcc

Hi Mohamed,

On 19.05.22 03:39, Mohamed Atef via Gcc wrote:
> Should I commit to devel/omp/gcc-11 branch?

Short answer – no.

Longer answer:

First, devel/omp/gcc-11 (alias OG11) is old – base on GCC 11 and you are targeting
mainline alias GCC 13. Thus, developing against an old version does not make sense.
(Side remark: OG12 should be available soon.)

If you have only localized patches – i.e. those which do not touch many files
which keep getting modified by others, simply posting the patches as you did seems
to be fine. Otherwise, you may want to have a (publicly visible?) git repro of
yourself which is based on mainline. - Thus the latter seems to be more reasonable,
but I think the current way of submitting patches is sufficient.

(An recent example of such a branch would be devel/loop-unswitch-support-switches,
but there are others and some which are not on the GCC git but just mirror it.
But also the initial OpenMP support was developed that way.)

Regarding OG.. itself:

The devel/omp/gcc-... (OG...) branches were created by us* to for two reasons:
to have a place of patches which are not yet in mainline to make them available
as early access – either because of legacy patches or when ready during the Stage 3/4
freezing – and to provide early access to OpenMP/OpenACC/offloading features with a
branch based on stable release.

Currently, there are still several legacy patches – but the goal is to have essentially
only mainline backports on the OG.. branches, with all legacy patches cleaned up,
submitted and then committed to mainline and all new patches applied first to
mainline. (With exceptions during the release freeze as then no larger commits
to mainline are possible. – The number of legacy patch has been reduced over the
last OG.. branches)

I hope it helps. - And thanks for your work on OMPD

Tobias
(*us = CodeSourcery alias (nowadays) Sourcery group at Siemens Digital Industries Software)

-----------------
Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955

* Re: OMPD Branch
@ 2022-05-19  8:27   ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2022-05-19  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus; +Cc: Mohamed Atef, gcc

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 09:47:34AM +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi Mohamed,
>
> On 19.05.22 03:39, Mohamed Atef via Gcc wrote:
> > Should I commit to devel/omp/gcc-11 branch?
>
> Short answer – no.

Yeah, you should create a new devel/omp/ompd branch.  We want a public
branch in the devel/omp namespace, because the OMPD work is larger and might
need several people to participate before it is finished and committing
it to trunk right away might be premature until we have at least larger
usable part in.

Steps should be:
create git clone of the gcc repository with your new gcc.gnu.org account
git+ssh://mohamedatef1968@gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
(or tweak your existing repository such that it has origin
url = git+ssh://mohamedatef1968@gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
).
Make sure you have run at least contrib/gcc-git-customization.sh
git checkout master
git checkout -b devel/omp/ompd
# commit your patch, make sure the ChangeLog entry etc. are in commit log
# and Signed-off-by too (as the last line) of commit message.
git gcc-verify HEAD
# The above should tell you if you have done something wrong with the
# commit message, if so, git commit --amend it and repeat.
git push -n origin devel/omp/ompd:refs/heads/devel/omp/ompd
# The above as a dry run to see what it would do, if it is ok, then
git push origin devel/omp/ompd:refs/heads/devel/omp/ompd

	Jakub