* GNU Tools Cauldron 2024
@ 2024-03-04 15:10 Jeremy Bennett
From: Jeremy Bennett @ 2024-03-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donell, Jan Hubicka

Hi all,

We are starting to put together the plans for this year's Cauldron.  We
have a suggested date of 13-15 September, the weekend before LPC.

We have not finalized a host for the meeting. If you wish to host,
please let me, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donnell or Jan Hubicka know ASAP.

Thanks,

Jeremy
--
Cell: +44 7970 676050 (UK), +49 172 683 5745 (Germany)
SkypeID: jeremybennett

* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2024
@ 2024-03-06  3:57 ` Bradley M. Kuhn
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2024-03-06  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bennett; +Cc: gcc, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donell, Jan Hubicka

Jeremy, David, Carlos, and the GCC Community,

Jeremy Bennett wrote yesterday:
> We are starting to put together the plans for this year's Cauldron.  We
> have a suggested date of 13-15 September, the weekend before LPC.

> We have not finalized a host for the meeting. If you wish to host, please
> let me, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donnell or Jan Hubicka know ASAP.

During the open session at the of Cauldron in 2023, I offered that Software
Freedom Conservancy could offer hosting for a “Cauldron USA” — in conjunction
with the annual FOSSY (Free and Open Source Software Yearly) conference that
we organize and host in each year in Portland, Oregon, USA.

There seemed some interest to that.  We're just a few days away from
finalizing the date and venue for FOSSY.  It's similar to FOSDEM in
that we organize and pay for the venue, handle on-site logistics, and
provide the usual logistics — and then volunteers need to handle review
of talk proposals for the track and be on site to introduce speakers, etc.

This would be different dates (it's likely to be in mid-to-late northern
hemisphere summer), and in the USA, so it would complement the usual
Cauldron.

Let me know if any of you are interested in this, and I can put you in touch
with the staff at SFC who orgainze FOSSY.

Let me know!
--
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/them
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy

* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2024
@ 2024-03-06 19:02   ` Eric Gallager
From: Eric Gallager @ 2024-03-06 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bradley M. Kuhn
  Cc: Jeremy Bennett, gcc, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donell, Jan Hubicka

On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 11:01 PM Bradley M. Kuhn via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Jeremy, David, Carlos, and the GCC Community,
>
> Jeremy Bennett wrote yesterday:
> > We are starting to put together the plans for this year's Cauldron.  We
> > have a suggested date of 13-15 September, the weekend before LPC.
>
> > We have not finalized a host for the meeting. If you wish to host, please
> > let me, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donnell or Jan Hubicka know ASAP.
>
> During the open session at the of Cauldron in 2023, I offered that Software
> Freedom Conservancy could offer hosting for a “Cauldron USA” — in conjunction
> with the annual FOSSY (Free and Open Source Software Yearly) conference that
> we organize and host in each year in Portland, Oregon, USA.
>
> There seemed some interest to that.  We're just a few days away from
> finalizing the date and venue for FOSSY.  It's similar to FOSDEM in
> that we organize and pay for the venue, handle on-site logistics, and
> provide the usual logistics — and then volunteers need to handle review
> of talk proposals for the track and be on site to introduce speakers, etc.
>
> This would be different dates (it's likely to be in mid-to-late northern
> hemisphere summer), and in the USA, so it would complement the usual
> Cauldron.
>
> Let me know if any of you are interested in this, and I can put you in touch
> with the staff at SFC who orgainze FOSSY.
>
> Let me know!

Hi, I would greatly appreciate a US option, and having it in Portland
would be especially convenient for me, as then I could stay with
family, so I would like to express my interest in it and would hope
that such an option can go forwards

@ 2024-03-06 20:47     ` Bradley M. Kuhn
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2024-03-06 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Gallager
  Cc: Jeremy Bennett, gcc, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donell, Jan Hubicka

Eric,

Eric Gallager wrote:
> Hi, I would greatly appreciate a US option, and having it in Portland
> would be especially convenient for me, as then I could stay with
> family, so I would like to express my interest in it and would hope
> that such an option can go forwards

Excited to hear that!

To have a track at FOSSY, it is somewhat similar to FOSDEM in that regard —
so it can be done grassroots.  The volunteer help SFC needs is minimal: we'd
need some accomplished folks in the GNU toolchain projects to step forward to
do review and selection of talks, and at least one person who is coming
in-person that will coordinate with the speakers in the track for the day.
SFC really took inspiration from FOSDEM in handling the logistics of the
event so that Free Software communities could have a place to have an event
without having to worry about the painful logistical parts.

As mentioned, if there are folks who'd like to do a Cauldron-like track at
FOSSY, please contact me off-list and I'll put you in touch with our staff at
SFC who are coordinating FOSSY.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/them
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy
Become a Conservancy Sustainer today: https://sfconservancy.org/sustainer

* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2024
@ 2024-03-29 14:44       ` Mark Wielaard
  2024-03-29 17:01         ` Submission Deadline 2024-04-18, GNU toolchain track at FOSSY in Portland, OR, USA (Conference date: 2024-08-01 to 2024-08-04) (was Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2024) Bradley M. Kuhn
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2024-03-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bradley M. Kuhn, Eric Gallager
  Cc: Jeremy Bennett, gcc, David Edelsohn, Carlos O'Donell, Jan Hubicka

On Wed, 2024-03-06 at 12:47 -0800, Bradley M. Kuhn via Gcc wrote:
> Eric Gallager wrote:
> > Hi, I would greatly appreciate a US option, and having it in Portland
> > would be especially convenient for me, as then I could stay with
> > family, so I would like to express my interest in it and would hope
> > that such an option can go forwards
>
> Excited to hear that!
>
> To have a track at FOSSY, it is somewhat similar to FOSDEM in that regard —
> so it can be done grassroots.  The volunteer help SFC needs is minimal: we'd
> need some accomplished folks in the GNU toolchain projects to step forward to
> do review and selection of talks, and at least one person who is coming
> in-person that will coordinate with the speakers in the track for the day.
> SFC really took inspiration from FOSDEM in handling the logistics of the
> event so that Free Software communities could have a place to have an event
> without having to worry about the painful logistical parts.

This has been confirmed now:
https://sfconservancy.org/news/2024/mar/28/fossy-2024/
FOSSY is back in Portland - August 1-4th at Portland State University

To propose a GNU toolchain community track go here:
https://sfconservancy.org/fossy/community-tracks/

@ 2024-03-29 17:01         ` Bradley M. Kuhn
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2024-03-29 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Eric Gallager, Jeremy Bennett, Jan Hubicka

Eric Gallager wrote:
>>> I would greatly appreciate a US option [in addition to GNU Cauldron in
>>> Europe], and having it in Portland would be especially convenient for me.

On Wed, 2024-03-06 at 12:47 -0800, Bradley M. Kuhn via Gcc wrote:
> > To have a track at FOSSY, it is somewhat similar to FOSDEM in that regard
> > — so it can be done grassroots.  The volunteer help SFC needs is minimal:
> > we'd need some accomplished folks in the GNU toolchain projects to step
> > forward to do review and selection of talks, and at least one person who
> > is coming in-person that will coordinate with the speakers in the track
> > for the day.

Mark Wielaard replied:
> This has been confirmed now:
> https://sfconservancy.org/news/2024/mar/28/fossy-2024/
> FOSSY is back in Portland - August 1-4th at Portland State University

> To propose a GNU toolchain community track go here:
> https://sfconservancy.org/fossy/community-tracks/

While I'm not directly involved much with FOSSY organization, my colleagues
at SFC are.  I did talk with them about the idea of having a GNU toolchain
track at FOSSY, and we'd very much welcome it.

If anyone with the sufficient expertise to do talk review for such a track
would like to do it, but needs a little help (or has concerns about the time
commitment, or anything like that), please feel free to write to me
privately.