* could gfortran be tested on Darwin regress builds of 4.1?
@ 2005-07-28 21:09 Jack Howarth
From: Jack Howarth @ 2005-07-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

     Since gfortran is making such good progress at this point, it
would seem like a really good idea for Apple to add the gfortran build
to its builds on regress. It would make is easier for Mac users to
tell what the expected status is of gfortran on Darwin. Thanks in
advance for considering this.
          Jack

* Re: could gfortran be tested on Darwin regress builds of 4.1?
@ 2005-07-28 23:24 ` Geoffrey Keating
From: Geoffrey Keating @ 2005-07-28 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc

howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu (Jack Howarth) writes:

>      Since gfortran is making such good progress at this point, it
> would seem like a really good idea for Apple to add the gfortran build
> to its builds on regress. It would make is easier for Mac users to
> tell what the expected status is of gfortran on Darwin. Thanks in
> advance for considering this.

The regression tester doesn't make such policy decisions; it simply
does '.../configure && make bootstrap'.  Thus, as you see, the
expected status of gfortran on Darwin is that it doesn't get built.

I believe this has something to do with Darwin not having some
libraries that gfortran requires, and possibly also gfortran not being
enabled by default.  I'm hesitant to install those libraries specially
for the regression tester; the tester is not supposed to be testing
optional configurations, it is testing the default build.  It would be
better if gfortran could be changed so that it did not require those
libraries, or if those libraries were provided as part of the tree.

* Re: could gfortran be tested on Darwin regress builds of 4.1?
@ 2005-07-29 22:32   ` Peter O'Gorman
From: Peter O'Gorman @ 2005-07-29 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Northcott; +Cc: gcc, howarth, geoffk

* Re: could gfortran be tested on Darwin regress builds of 4.1?
       [not found] <1122649613.12852.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-29 22:14 ` Bill Northcott
From: Bill Northcott @ 2005-07-29 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: howarth, geoffk

On 30/07/2005, at 1:06 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    Well the gcc4.info for the package containing gfortran in fink
> has...
>
> Depends: gmp-shlibs (>= 4.1.3-11), cctools (>= 576-1) | odcctools
> (>= 576-200503
> 27), %N-shlibs, libiconv
> BuildDepends: gmp (>= 4.1.3-11), libiconv-dev
>
> which is a tad confusing since I guess it implies that cctools
> isn't needed
> to build gcc4/gfortran but is needed to use it. That seems weird
> since to
> build it and do a make check is to effectively use it.

I built a working (builds functioning R and Octave) gfortran with
Apple's gcc 4 on MacOS X 10.4.1 (Darwin 8.1).

The only thing I needed to add was gmp, which built from the source
without problems.

The cc-tools in Darwin 8 is 590.  So I think it would be a bad idea
to install 576!

If I get time, I will try the current code.

Bill Northcott

* Re: could gfortran be tested on Darwin regress builds of 4.1?
@ 2005-07-28 23:41 Jack Howarth