From: Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
To: Madhu patel <patelmadhu06@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 21:08:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

please make sure you CC the mailing list in these communications.

On Thu, Mar 16 2023, Madhu patel wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>That is an impressive list.  On a more specific note, do you have any -
>> rudimentary is fine - background in the theory of compilers?  Are you
>> familiar with concepts like intermediate representation (intermediate
>> language)?
>
> Yes! I have Built the GCC from source and Yes, I do have good knowledge of
> compilers. We had this subject in the college curriculum where we studied
> intermediate representation.  I have good knowledge of C++, c, Java, and
> Bash. etc.
>
>>Great.  What are the issues you have encountered?  I assume you have
>>seen David's guide for newcomers too?  If not, have a look at it at
>>https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
>
> Yes, I have built the GCC from scratch on my Linux Machine.
> I have written the documentation for the same. And working on understanding
> the details of offLoading.
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ffx7c29f0yfhvbiuvndku/GCC.paper?dl=0&rlkey=76x89xkzz3h41uemor9ksw6sl

Just a note, using images to capture terminal (instead of the text that
is there) is a very bad practice.  (The configure step is also quite
conspicuously missing in your text, why?)

> And gone through the
> https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
> <https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html> and did a
> basic setup for GCC on my Linux machine.
>
> Can we schedule a meeting to discuss the project's timeline and specific
> tasks that I can take on?
> Please let me know your availability.

Sorry but no, I am not able to and do not intend to schedule calls with
GSoC applicants.  I'll be happy to discuss stuff on the mailing-list.

Estimating a timeline and coming up with (at least some) milestones of
the project is part of the exercise of writing a proposal.  GSoC
contributors need to demonstrate a certain level of independent thought
and initiative - though of course the community is always there to help
with specific questions and difficulties.

The project has been discussed already in
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html and this
message should be enough to get you started.

Good luck,

Martin